Residencies in Indiana?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gapeach427

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone doing their Family Med residencies in the Indianapolis area? I am interested in learning more about the different residencies there.

Thank you...

Members don't see this ad.

gapeach427 said:
Is anyone doing their Family Med residencies in the Indianapolis area? I am interested in learning more about the different residencies there.

Thank you...
I too am researching fp residencies in indiana, scutwork is a VERY helpful site. Have you checked out the muncie program? Seems quite nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
All in all I think the programs in Indiana are very good. Each has subtle differences. I will be starting my residency in Indiana this year, but I'll try to be as unbiased as possible. This is soley based on my opinion and discussions with classmates going into FM. A good site to visit besides scutwork is http://www.aafp.org/residencies/in.html

In no particular order:
1. St. Francis, Beech Grove - unopposed program just outside of downtown Indy (south); very flexible program with high/low OB tracks. Low track requires 2 months in first year. Great faculty with lots of electives to tailor your training to what you want to do. Very laid back friendly atmosphere. Strong personable residents. Very popular among IU students this year. Cons that I have heard are: ? of too laid back with optional paid call in 2nd and 3rd year, ? weak peds, and lack of some procedures.
2. Deaconess, Evansville - unopposed; struggled to fill in recent years; very good directors; location seen as big obstacle; not very popular among IU students
3. Ft. Wayne - program that is perceived to be on the rise, but still with a ways to go.
4. Methodist, Gary - do not know much about program; not popular among IU students
5.Community, Indianapolis - this unopposed program on the East of Indy is probably the consensus #3 out the four programs in Indy. Training appears to be suited for suburban/urban practice. Faculty very friendly and approachable. Lack of procedures is a perceived weakness.
6. Indiana Univ - #4 out of the 4 in Indy. Many IU students do not even apply to program. Biggest weaknesses are a result of the academic setting with lots of competition with the other specialties on campus. Faculty are some of the best around, but IU is not a very FM-friendly environment.
7. St. Vincent, Indianapolis - popular program on the north side. Also has IM, OB-Gyn, and transitional/prelim programs. Community-based with academic feel. Lots of med students rotating through the hospital. Facutly are very friendly as well as everyone else in the hospital. Recent change in director caused some concern among some, but new director seems to be very good. Cons: ? weak OB, IM-dominated environment, and lack of some procedures. Still very popular among students but down last couple years. Also has 4-year FM/IM combined program.
8. Ball Memorial, Muncie - about 1 hour NE of Indy in smaller college town (Ball State). Also has IM and transitional programs but not perceived to be a weakness. Popular among IU students. Very strong in OB and procedures (do colon/EGD in family practice center). Has been touted as one of the best programs for a rural training. Excellent faculty. Several international opportunities. Beautiful relatively new facility just next to hospital. Very few perceived weaknesses in the program. Often heard from other students that the only weakness they can think of is the location (not as active/exciting as Indy). Residents do a lot of social activities together outside of work.
9. Memorial, S. Bend - popular program with well-rounded program. Comments very similar to Ball Memorial but this program is unopposed but another FM program in town (see below). Popular among those from the northern part of state. Has Sports Medicine Fellowship.
10. St. Joseph, S. Bend - many seem to like Memorial better among these programs. Has International track but not sure you can't get similar/same training at other programs in state. Has Sports Medicine Fellowship.
11. Union, Terre Haute - western border in smaller college town (Indiana State). Has rural track. Hasn't been popular among IU students with only a couple applying there. Main attraction is rural experience at very small town clinic. Has OB fellowship.

I hope this info helps.

Did anybody on this site match at any Indiana residencies?