Residencies in U.S./Canada all meds or combo w/alternative (integrative)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic70

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing up pre-requisites and I am currently finding out as much about residencies and fellowships. My areas of interest lie in OMM, physical medicine/rehabilitation, accupuncture, oriental and alternative medicine. From what I gathered, in order to specialize in OMM, rehabilitation, or sports medicine, the resident must first complete 3 years of either family practice or internal medicine, and then go on to specialize in OMM, Sports Medicine, rehab, etc (I'm assuming that each speciality would be considered a fellowship). Is that correct? Does there exist a residency that is purely, OMM, or rehab without doing the first 3 years of residency in internal medicine or family practice? I have no problem doing a residency for 3 years in internal medicine or family practice, however, I do have a problem with prescribing unnecessary pharmaceutical drugs. Are there internal medicine or family practice residencies that are more alternative/holistic/integrative in nature? I don't believe in prescription drugs in family practice, internal medicine, rehab, etc. (I believe they serve their purpose in the ER and with surgery, this is just my belief and I will not debate this issue, I'm just trying to get some questions answered). From the information I have gathered, with internal med. and family practice residencies, you practice medicine the way the attending practices. So if the attending prescribes drugs all day, that's what you will be doing. That's why I need to know if there are any residency opportunites out there that are alternative in nature with no prescription drug use incorporated? I highly doubt that these would exist in any type of hospital setting. Can an internal med. or family practice residency exist in a community health based practice? Essentially, I don't want to ever write a single script during residency or in practice. Also, does anyone know of any residencies that incorporate accupuncture? If no one knows the answers to these questions, does anyone know of anyone that does and that can help me? Please Help. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I dont understand why do you want to go to medical school if you will never prescribe prescription drugs. Get a degree in naturopathic medicine, it sounds like what you are looking for (minus the OMM):

http://www.naturopathic.org/licensure/education.aspx

Might still be able to learn OMM techniques somehow.

laboholic said:
I dont understand why do you want to go to medical school if you will never prescribe prescription drugs. Get a degree in naturopathic medicine, it sounds like what you are looking for (minus the OMM):

http://www.naturopathic.org/licensure/education.aspx

Might still be able to learn OMM techniques somehow.
Sports/Rehab type med that you speak about w/o doing a family practice residency first would be PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)...however I would deem it highly unlikely that you would find a residency anywhere w/ a DO or MD that did not involve prescription medicine to at least some degree

Physical Therapists can (and do) use many tecniques that are basically identical to OMM (just w/o the HVLA-cracking/popping). And a Naturopathic medical school may be more in tune w/ what you're looking for. You may want to look into these.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback...
Taus said:
Sports/Rehab type med that you speak about w/o doing a family practice residency first would be PM&R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation)...however I would deem it highly unlikely that you would find a residency anywhere w/ a DO or MD that did not involve prescription medicine to at least some degree

Physical Therapists can (and do) use many tecniques that are basically identical to OMM (just w/o the HVLA-cracking/popping). And a Naturopathic medical school may be more in tune w/ what you're looking for. You may want to look into these.

Duplicate thread - more active one in DO forum. Feel free to contribute in the Osteopathic forum. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.