Residencies that are heavy on sports med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderHound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I know there's a fair number of FM residencies that have a large amount of OB training incorporated. I was wondering if anyone knew of programs with a large amount of sports med/ortho incorporated into their program?

Members don't see this ad.

McKay-Dee in Ogden, Utah (about 40 minutes north of Salt Lake City) is a small family medicine residency program that has lots of sports medicine incorporated into the curriculum. Each of the 6 interns serves as the team doc for one of the 6 local high schools. Residents sign up for team doc shifts at Weber State University. They also practice sports medicine at a local ski resort. The program director says their graduating residents often have just as much sports medicine experience as most sports medicine fellows.

Your best bets if you're thinking sports med but want solid family med training too:
Maine Medical Center (Portland)
South Bend (Memorial and St Joes), IN
Hennepin County - Minnesota
Macneal - Chicago
UCLA
U of Washington
Moses Cone - Greensboro, NC
U of Minnesota
U of Missouri
Crozer-Keystone - Philly
Thomas Jefferson - Philly
Ohio programs are strong too but I didn't ask too much about them because I didn't want to go there
U of Utah

New but will be strong soon:
Anmed - Anderson, SC

Those were the ones recommended to me by my sports med faculty. Then it kinda boils down to where in the country you want to live.