Quantcast

Residencies that are heavy on sports med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PowderHound

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi all,

I know there's a fair number of FM residencies that have a large amount of OB training incorporated. I was wondering if anyone knew of programs with a large amount of sports med/ortho incorporated into their program?

Arginine

happiest of amino acids
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
McKay-Dee in Ogden, Utah (about 40 minutes north of Salt Lake City) is a small family medicine residency program that has lots of sports medicine incorporated into the curriculum. Each of the 6 interns serves as the team doc for one of the 6 local high schools. Residents sign up for team doc shifts at Weber State University. They also practice sports medicine at a local ski resort. The program director says their graduating residents often have just as much sports medicine experience as most sports medicine fellows.

slim shanie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Your best bets if you're thinking sports med but want solid family med training too:
Maine Medical Center (Portland)
South Bend (Memorial and St Joes), IN
Hennepin County - Minnesota
Macneal - Chicago
UCLA
U of Washington
Moses Cone - Greensboro, NC
U of Minnesota
U of Missouri
Crozer-Keystone - Philly
Thomas Jefferson - Philly
Ohio programs are strong too but I didn't ask too much about them because I didn't want to go there
U of Utah

New but will be strong soon:
Anmed - Anderson, SC

Those were the ones recommended to me by my sports med faculty. Then it kinda boils down to where in the country you want to live.