Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

Residencies that are heavy on sports med?

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by PowderHound, Feb 14, 2007.

1. PowderHound

PowderHound Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hi all,

I know there's a fair number of FM residencies that have a large amount of OB training incorporated. I was wondering if anyone knew of programs with a large amount of sports med/ortho incorporated into their program?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Arginine

Arginine happiest of amino acids
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    McKay-Dee in Ogden, Utah (about 40 minutes north of Salt Lake City) is a small family medicine residency program that has lots of sports medicine incorporated into the curriculum. Each of the 6 interns serves as the team doc for one of the 6 local high schools. Residents sign up for team doc shifts at Weber State University. They also practice sports medicine at a local ski resort. The program director says their graduating residents often have just as much sports medicine experience as most sports medicine fellows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. slim shanie

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your best bets if you're thinking sports med but want solid family med training too:
    Maine Medical Center (Portland)
    South Bend (Memorial and St Joes), IN
    Hennepin County - Minnesota
    Macneal - Chicago
    UCLA
    U of Washington
    Moses Cone - Greensboro, NC
    U of Minnesota
    U of Missouri
    Crozer-Keystone - Philly
    Thomas Jefferson - Philly
    Ohio programs are strong too but I didn't ask too much about them because I didn't want to go there
    U of Utah

New but will be strong soon:
    Anmed - Anderson, SC

Those were the ones recommended to me by my sports med faculty. Then it kinda boils down to where in the country you want to live.