Residencies that don't take COMLEX= dont take DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question. I may be premature asking since I'm not matriculated yet, but do residencies who state they take USMLE (NOT explicitly stating they don't take COMLEX) mean as a DO I shouldn't look into them? I've overheard physicians during my shadowing experiences where I am interested in working/staying who said they overlook all DO applicants. I'm confused because many of these programs have DOs as their program directors/assistants.

Members don't see this ad.

ACGME-accredited programs have different acceptance criteria. Some only welcome MD students, some accept DO students but require USMLE. Yet some others will accept DO students and will take either the USMLE or COMLEX.

Therefore programs that state that they take USMLE (without mentioning the COMLEX) either only accept MD applicants or require USMLE from their DO applicants. Perhaps the only way to be sure is to call up or email their residency coordinator and ask or look up the current residents' profile on the program's website and see if they have any DO residents.

Also, just because a program has a DO attending on staff does NOT mean they also accept DO trainees. The DO attending might have no clinical duties whatsoever (administrative position) or might have trained in an ACGME-accredited program.

Hi, I have a question. I may be premature asking since I'm not matriculated yet, but do residencies who state they take USMLE (NOT explicitly stating they don't take COMLEX) mean as a DO I shouldn't look into them? I've overheard physicians during my shadowing experiences where I am interested in working/staying who said they overlook all DO applicants. I'm confused because many of these programs have DOs as their program directors/assistants.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sit for both and take the guess work out of it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Residencies that don't take COMLEX= take USMLE and COMLEX.

Many programs also say they accept both but prefer USMLE for comparative reasons, etc. Obviously there are programs (such as the "elite") that don't take DO applicants. Tough luck. You don't have to go an elite residency program to be an excellent physician.

Most acgme program directors have NO idea how to interrupt the comlex. I've been on 14 interviews and none of them knew if a 700 was good or bad. They all, however, liked my usmle score. You really should take usmle step 1. You should take step 2 also if you apply for EM or IM or if you get below 230. I do have classmates who have, alternatively, taken usmle step 2 and not step 1, and that has helped them get interviews.

Most acgme program directors have NO idea how to interrupt the comlex. I've been on 14 interviews and none of them knew if a 700 was good or bad. They all, however, liked my usmle score. You really should take usmle step 1. You should take step 2 also if you apply for EM or IM or if you get below 230. I do have classmates who have, alternatively, taken usmle step 2 and not step 1, and that has helped them get interviews.

That is awesome info, thanks for sharing!

Given that you aren't in yet, don't worry about it today.

By the time you apply to residency they will all share an accreditation process (ACGME) and there will only be 1 'match'.

Right now there are no PUBLIC plans to scrap the COMLEX and go to one exam series, but let's be reasonable...if there is only 1 way to get your residency accredited, and only one way to get applicants...why on earth would you want them taking 2 separate tests :confused:

I suspect that within 5 years there will be one exam and what little is left to feed the pre-med belief in some great bias will continue to fade.

I would worry more at this point about getting INTO med school and doing well in your classes and boards. Then worry about what exams residencies will take.

No one even knows what exams will be like in 3 years at this point given the residency merger.

I would worry more at this point about getting INTO med school and doing well in your classes and boards. Then worry about what exams residencies will take.

No one even knows what exams will be like in 3 years at this point given the residency merger.

I think this type of advice is part of the reason many DO students are shocked by the bias among PDs. Sure worry about getting in, but also be aware of what you're getting into.

It's never a bad idea to look ahead and plan for the future.

I think this type of advice is part of the reason many DO students are shocked by the bias among PDs. Sure worry about getting in, but also be aware of what you're getting into.

It's never a bad idea to look ahead and plan for the future.

haha... because you are getting into a whole lot of trouble if you go DO. Medpr's posts crack me up. I'm excited for the chance mess with MD egos in the competitive surgical residency i get into 4 years from now.

haha... because you are getting into a whole lot of trouble if you go DO. Medpr's posts crack me up. I'm excited for the chance mess with MD egos in the competitive surgical residency i get into 4 years from now.

I never said DO was a whole lot of trouble.

It's important to know what you're getting into regardless of MD/DO.

I never said DO was a whole lot of trouble.

It's important to know what you're getting into regardless of MD/DO.

That's why I post on the pre-osteo forum

That's why I post on the pre-osteo forum

Just trying to help people. Instead they take it as an insult.