Residencies w/ Opportunities to Participate in Hospital QI and Leadership

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-Skim

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking for Internal Medicine residencies that encourage resident participation in Quality Initiatives (Initiatives to improve care and efficiencies in the hospital) and hospital leadership. In two months, I will be a 4th year medical student at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM). I participated in a dual-degree program while at PCOM (DO/MBA). I received my MBA in Health & Medical Services last May, and I have a undergrad degree in Political Science. Therefore, I have a very keen interest in creating change on a systemic level by improving patient care and hospital efficiencies, and, most importantly, improving preventative care.

Many of the programs at my school's residency fair seemed to be very excited about resident participation in QI and Leadership opportunities, and they encouraged me to contact their program directors and human resources staff for more information. I am interested in both Osteopathic and Allopathic residencies. I have no preference for one or the other as long as it is a good program with great teaching. I would prefer to be in or near a major city, but I'm more concerned with the program and its opportunities. My grades are average and I have research experience. Unfortunately, my COMLEX is a 500, and my USMLE is low. I spoke to the University of Illinois at Chicago on the phone, and one of their representatives told me that if I improve my USMLE Step II substantially, then they would consider the composite score.

I apologize for the very verbose message. I greatly appreciate your time and consideration, as well as any input you may want to provide. I wish everyone the best of future success.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
QI is all the rage right now in hospital medicine. Pretty much any respectable residency program will have opportunities to participate in this.

:thumbup: University of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad :)
Every hospital has some sort of housestaff association and many include housestaff on committees that impact hospital operations (including QI type things).

Since most people would rather cut off their own testicles with a plastic knife than be on these committees, you should have no trouble getting this kind of opportunity at virtually any decent-sized university program.

I would agree with everyone here that as far as QI goes, getting in on this is going to be easy at most respectable programs. Seems like pretty much everybody on the interview trail paid lip service to it. I feel like it might actually be a requirement at some places as well, but can't remember.

A couple places seemed more enthusiastic about it from my recollections. Mayo, if I remember correctly, seemed to focus a lot on it.

As for leadership, that's a little bit more fluid--I remember that there is a "Hospitalist Training Track" with a specific focus on leadership at Colorado that sounded really awesome. If I were more interested in being a hospitalist I would have jumped at this opportunity as it sounded really excellent. They focus on QI as a major part of this track as well. If these are things that you're really looking for, Colorado has a lot to offer.

Thank you to everyone for your responses. However, does anyone have suggestions for programs that weigh board scores less heavily than the overall application? I would love to go to University of San Francisco, but I don't know if that is realistic.

Check out Atlanticare in Atlantic City, NJ.

There is a fairly new dually accredited AOA/ACGME IM residency program, with an ACGME IM program running side by side that has been around for decades. Several of the 3rd years have done Leadership electives. Residents are members on up to 3 hospital committees and have the ability to be very active in quality improvement.