docflanny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 4, 1999
grand rapids, mi, United States
Status
I just started moonlighting at our program's flight medicine program, Aeromed, my curiosity got the best of me at how many programs out there offer this and will allow you to moonlight doing it? It seemed when I interviewed two years ago, most of the programs I went to seemed to offer it.

It's also something I'd like to continue when I'm an attending someday. It's been so much fun to see what the prehospital environment is like and to take off in a chopper. It's also fun see what your referring facilities and local communities look like (scene flights). I have a deep respect for prehospital providers. The patient typically looks 10x better after they've been packaged and are in our trauma bay.

Our flight program allows only PGY3s to moonlight and is always covered by a physician (attending or resident). I understand most places are covered by RN-paramedic teams.

EctopicFetus

Keeping it funky enough
15+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Arizona
Status
Attending Physician
docflanny said:
I just started moonlighting at our program's flight medicine program, Aeromed, my curiosity got the best of me at how many programs out there offer this and will allow you to moonlight doing it? It seemed when I interviewed two years ago, most of the programs I went to seemed to offer it.

It's also something I'd like to continue when I'm an attending someday. It's been so much fun to see what the prehospital environment is like and to take off in a chopper. It's also fun see what your referring facilities and local communities look like (scene flights). I have a deep respect for prehospital providers. The patient typically looks 10x better after they've been packaged and are in our trauma bay.

Our flight program allows only PGY3s to moonlight and is always covered by a physician (attending or resident). I understand most places are covered by RN-paramedic teams.
I know U of chicago does it. I believe Case Western does as well.

12R34Y

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
EctopicFetus said:
I know U of chicago does it. I believe Case Western does as well.

Iowa, Indiana, Peoria, Mayo just to name a few. Lots have flight programs residents fly on.

These program are the programs I know personally that let you fly as a part of the team and not an observer.

later

bcsmith

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UAB has a very active critical care transport service, with PGY2.5 or older residents allowed to moonlight. We have 2 ground trucks, a helicopter and a fixed wing Cessna jet. As a moonlighting MDs we take 12 hour shifts: home call is $5/hr, when on a run you are paid $60/hr. Besides the money, this is a great experience in which you will be caring for critically ill patients who will often be on multiple drips, and require multiple procedures: RSI/ETT, chest tubes, A-Line, CVCs etc. You will have one RN and one RT on the flight with you as well - to help you out in those sphincter-tightening moments.

b

PGY3 Emergency Medicine Resident
University of Alabama at Birmingham

12R34Y said:
Iowa, Indiana, Peoria, Mayo just to name a few. Lots have flight programs residents fly on.

These program are the programs I know personally that let you fly as a part of the team and not an observer.

later