Residencies with subsidized housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abefromann

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Has anybody heard of programs in the big cities (NYC, Boston, LA, SF, Chi) with large housing stipends or subsidized housing? I heard that Columbia has something like this.

Thank y'all

Members don't see this ad.

Cornell has subsidized housing in the east side, which is pretty nice for what you pay. From what I remember, I think you can apply for the Cornell housing if you are at Columbia although Cornell applicants get preference (I know the Columbia fellows can, not fully sure about residents).

In the west coast, UCSF gives a housing stipend. You can apply for graduate subsidized housing if you are at any UCLA affiliated program (UCLA, Cedars, etc.)

Hey,

Has anybody heard of programs in the big cities (NYC, Boston, LA, SF, Chi) with large housing stipends or subsidized housing? I heard that Columbia has something like this.

Thank y'all

YES, NYU and Rooselvolt both haev that. I don't think any BOSTON hospital has..

Cool, regarding the NYC housing stipends, can someone elaborate? Like, it is it a couple hundred off a month, or do they take care of most of it?

Although I can probably guess the answer to this question, do the rent prices quoted for subsidized housing include any utilities?

Can only speak for NYC programs. I know St. Lukes Roosevelts subsidized housing is $1590 for a studio (this is what you pay) the last i heard anyway. I don't think it includes utilities. There are some dorm style housing for NYMC programs in the city, but not in westchester or valhalla. This is cheap at $250 per month, but you live in a dorm and have to share a bathroom with everyone that lives on your floor. The apartments for St. Lukes/Roosevelt can be in a nice area at 59th/9th where roosevelt hospital is.. or at St. Lukes which is further uptown. Don't know about Cornell's housing.

St Vincent Manhattan has hospital owned housing that categorical residents get at subsidized rates. Nothing to write home about, but heck when can you live in the village for 2k or less/month. There is a waiting list and often it takes until PGY-2 or 3 to get into the apartments.

Cornell has housing.

Long Island College Hospital has housing for categorical residents.

Memorial Sloan Kettering requires fellows to live in hospital housing (it is a tower connected to the hospital and they don't provide on-call rooms on the floors).

Memorial Sloan Kettering requires fellows to live in hospital housing (it is a tower connected to the hospital and they don't provide on-call rooms on the floors).

I guess you are specifically referring to clinical fellows, as I know several MSK pathology fellows who were living in an affiliated high rise on 60th street (a street over from the bridge). I stayed there during a visiting rotation and it was pretty nice.

I know of two programs in NYC that provide subsidized housing. Long Island College Hospital and New York Hospital Queens. LICH provides it for all three years, but its kind of run down from what I've heard. And NYHQ only provides it for the intern year.

When I was at Mt. Sinai, about half of the residents in my group were living in the hospital housing and paying less than what it would cost to find a similar apartment on your own. According to them it was not "subsidized" but offered at "lower than market rates." I paid $1K for my studio with them; I found myself paying a lot more than that for a much crappier studio when I left the hospital.

Does anybody know about the accomodation at Montefiore, Bronx. I will be most likely doing PGY-1 in surgery. is it subsidized? thanks in advance.

i was just wondering if anybody knows any specifics regarding st. luke's-roosevelt housing? i know they offer two options near st. luke's and one by roosevelt hospital. I'm interested in moving into one of the buildings near st.luke's for a residency i'm starting this summer and wanted to know if anybody knows which building is better- 10 amsterdam ave or 515 west 59th street? ie. is one newer or bigger etc?

For the programs in NY with subsidized housing, are these places furnished or do they come with dorm style furniture?

Does anybody know about the accomodation at Montefiore, Bronx. I will be most likely doing PGY-1 in surgery. is it subsidized? thanks in advance.

Kinda late for this but yes it is subsidized and it's extremely cheap. I am still shocked how little I'm paying for this.