Residencies

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by caduceus5, Aug 16, 2001.

1. caduceus5

caduceus5 Junior Member

Can anyone tell me what type of residencies foreign medical graduates can get in the U.S.? Can they get the same variety as U.S. medical graduates, or is it maybe worse.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ana

ana

Generally, they do not get into the more competitive residencies or programs unless they have extensive research backgrounds or are well connected.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Ana is right - while it is possible for an IMG to obtain a US residency in most any specialty, the truth is that US grads will almost always be preferred.

I'll move this to the Rotations and Residencies Forum for you.

5. bubbas2

bubbas2 Junior Member

Pediatrics, gen. surgery, family practice, and by shear numbers of spots internal medicine. There is a lot of variability within each specialty. Location,location, location is what matters. Internal medicine at a top group program is much more competative than a joe-blow surgical spot. Catch my drift. Surgical spots are fewer because of the smaller number of programs and spots per program.