Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know one of the more common complaints from us, is the lack of DO residencies compared to the number of schools and new schools being opened. Well, having lots of free time on my hands I've been doing internet browsing and I've notice that the main site on which we get info on our residencies "http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/search/search.cfm?searchType=1&CFID=966572&CFTOKEN=2166831f2d9de3dc-7734EA69-A419-5922-AA70A5F6BB73B8E1&jsessionid=3030dc0d77dc3e7b5933" Doesn't seem to show all of them. For example, it shows 7 uro surg residencies. When the ACOS site "http://www.facos.org/ScriptContent/educationsites.cfm" shows 15. I've notived this in a couple more specialties like EM, neurosurgery,Cardiothoracic Surgery, ENT and some more. Maybe they will update in june when the new residents come in. I guess you can view this post as "good news" that the AOA is doing their job in creating more residencies for us.

Members don't see this ad.

or (being the "glass half empty type of person) maybe those other 8 places are not accredited or funded... or maybe "Opportunities" really isn't as comprehensive in its listings as we'd all like it to be. Wouldn't be completely unlike the AOA to only half-@$$ do something, now would it?

maybe we should all write postcards to... oh, wait. That's been done...

jd

Well, I was thinking that they were approved or almost complete and are about to recieve residents. Lets try to be positive. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious where you saw the other AOA approved EM residencies?

B-

Well, I was thinking that they were approved or almost complete and are about to recieve residents. Lets try to be positive. :thumbup:

Looks like a nice program. Keep it up AOA!

Hello everyone. I will be starting medical school in the fall, and I know I want to do FP. So, what are your thoughts on me taking both exams? Do you think its necessary? Would the benefits be worth it?

Thanks,
jamie
[email protected]

if you are dead set on fp, i wouldn't take both tests. unless you want to do your residency at mayo and the likes which still might consider you since its fp. If I where you I would sign up with the health corps or some state programs to pay for school for you.

Hello everyone. I will be starting medical school in the fall, and I know I want to do FP. So, what are your thoughts on me taking both exams? Do you think its necessary? Would the benefits be worth it?

Thanks,
jamie
[email protected]

Not necessary at all.

In fact, I have friends who were invited to sign a contract early (outside the match) at allopathic FP programs.

You are going to be very highly recruited if you play your cards right.

or (being the "glass half empty type of person) maybe those other 8 places are not accredited or funded... or maybe "Opportunities" really isn't as comprehensive in its listings as we'd all like it to be. Wouldn't be completely unlike the AOA to only half-@$$ do something, now would it?

maybe we should all write postcards to... oh, wait. That's been done...

jd

I'm noticing much more frequently that some of the osteopathic websites and publications seem to be ....eh....lackluster.

I'm tooling around ACGME program websites and they are slick and have information I need and are easy to navigate. I'm tooling around AOA program websites and I find broken links, can't find resident info, etc.

Plus, I'm tooling around AAFP and ACP websites and I'm in gloryland.
I'm tooling around DO-online and I'm wishing they would hire the webmaster from AAFP.

Not slamming the profession, mind you, just its IT.

http://opportunities.osteopathic.or...program_id=129823&hosp_id=119171&returnPage=1

Tooh,

I wonder if it is already affiliated with this program and perhaps it is a twist on it they are developing..

BMW

Doubt it, the hospitals are about 150 miles apart, and have different medical directors and pd's. plus one is Memorial Health Systems and the other is Conemaugh Health System. Other then being in the same state and havings LECOM students rotate at each, I see no other connections.