Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nikeshp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have already started thinking about what i would like to do for the rest of my life, after med school, and i scared myself a bit, and i now dont know if medicine is right for me.

would there be a residency or specialty right for me?

i dont want to do surgery, i want to have more patient contact than a surgeon would have. lets also assume that i am interested in all areas other than surgery. i am somewhat worried though, if something suddenly goes wrong, and the patient is about to die, i am afraid that i wont know what to do. is this normal among premeds? this alone is the reason why i have mostly just been considering family care, because its not often that they have to deal with that situation.

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa! That's what med school is for. We're not supposed to come out of the cradle knowing EXACTLY what we want to do, or how to do it.

During med school, you will be exposed to different areas of medicine, particularly during rotations. You'll get a better feel for what does and does not attract you then.

I have already started thinking about what i would like to do for the rest of my life, after med school, and i scared myself a bit, and i now dont know if medicine is right for me.

would there be a residency or specialty right for me?

i dont want to do surgery, i want to have more patient contact than a surgeon would have. lets also assume that i am interested in all areas other than surgery. i am somewhat worried though, if something suddenly goes wrong, and the patient is about to die, i am afraid that i wont know what to do. is this normal among premeds? this alone is the reason why i have mostly just been considering family care, because its not often that they have to deal with that situation.
shadowing?