Residency abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vertigo1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!
I'm a D3 in New York and will be practicing in NYC so I'll have to do a residency. However, I'm really interested in doing a residency abroad for a year or two and have no idea how to go about it.
Does anyone have experience with that or how to begin the search?
I would really appreciate any input :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I did a GPR residency in Canada at McGill University and apparently while McGill is an ADA accredited dental school, the GPR program has never been independantly evaluated and so therefore is not. I only found this little detail out after I finished the program and applied for my NYS license. It was a big problem.

Be careful. I would speak to the ADA and find a list of accredited programs (not just schools) to start your search.

Hi,

I did a GPR residency in Canada at McGill University and apparently while McGill is an ADA accredited dental school, the GPR program has never been independantly evaluated and so therefore is not. I only found this little detail out after I finished the program and applied for my NYS license. It was a big problem.

Be careful. I would speak to the ADA and find a list of accredited programs (not just schools) to start your search.

Ouch...any state besides NY and u woulda been fine...hard lesson