Residency after Flinders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knelly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I had a question in regards to residency following medical school. I am completely lost in the literature as to the steps involved in obtaining a residency in either the US or Canada. I am a canadian, born and raised, and I have been accepted to Flinders and am SUPER excited about going. But I am worried about obtaining a residency spot. I would very much like to come back to Canada (thats my preference) but would also settle for a residency spot in the US. However, the steps involved are very unclear. So any guidance at all would be greatly appreciative.'

Thanks for your time!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the reply....but i was curious that even if I come from Canada, do my med studies in australia, I would still have to write the TOEFL? Sounds pretty redundant!!

Since you're just starting med school you probably won't be taking the CSA for a few years and starting around June 2004 there will no longer be a CSA. USMLE Step 2 has been divided into 2 parts CK (clinical knowlege) and CS (clinical skills). Step 2 CS is basically the CSA only now you don't have to take the TOEFL anymore. Sucks for US med students b/c they have an extra test to pay for as they have to take the CS exam too but good for us I guess since we have one less to pay for.

Originally posted by knelly
thanks for the reply....but i was curious that even if I come from Canada, do my med studies in australia, I would still have to write the TOEFL? Sounds pretty redundant!!

Off topic...but have you considered staying in Australia?? It's become a lot easier in the last few years with the creation of special visas that allow u to stay for internship.