Residency and choice of Pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anybody educate me on picking a school to attend if I am interested in doing a residency after wards? It seems to me, from a couple threads, that residency programs look at the school you went to regardless of whether or not you passed the NAPLEX. Is that true? Would it be better to go to a school with a long standing rep vs. a very young pharm school?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what threads you're reading- but if you would like something to ponder: right now there is a student on the pharmacy student forum who is going through residency matching that is in the Southern Nevada program. If I remember correctly, Nevada recently received accredidation within the past couple of years. So, it's not impossible to get a residency if you're in a "less established" program, or in an accelerated program at that.
I think grades do make a difference- it may not prevent you from getting a residency in general, but I think it may make a difference between you getting one of your top choices vs. whatever you didn't match with and is left over in the end. I think the school you attended and the reputation of their curriculum may play a hand in that as well. You may want to think about posting a reply in the residency matching thread in the pharmacy student forum to get more answers. Pharmacy students will have a better scope on this subject than pre-pharms.

Hi, I'm the USN student emogrrrrl was referring to in her post ;) Let me start by saying that, yes, coming from a developing program does have its challenges. It matters to a degree, certainly if you go for certain regional residency programs, coming from the well established regional pharmacy school puts you at an advantage. At the AZ positions I've interviewed at, most of the residents, preceptors, and directors are from University of Arizona. They know how those candidates were trained, and often the preceptors are on the faculty of the local pharmacy school. I did have to field a question or two during one of my residency interviews pertaining to the grading/curricular structure at our school. This has more to do with unfamiliarity some preceptors have with the program than anything else. More often than not, I am finding that residency directors, coordinators, and preceptors are more interested in YOU...they ask questions regarding your fitness for residency training: what's your work ethic, what do you expect from the program, and can you work well with others. One of the things I have come to understand is that pharmacy is a real small world. People I've interviewed with turned out to be familiar with some of my clinical rotation preceptors, especially those who wrote my letters of rec. The coordinator I just interviewed with on Thursday turned out to be a fellow pharmacy practice resident of one of my letter writers. She can vouch for me on a personal level with the coordinator. This trumps anything regarding the newness of the school. In our second graduating class, anywhere from 10-15 students grabbed residency positions, I know a few that are at VA hospitals in AZ, NM, UT, and another at UCSD. So to sum it up...a well established program will help you with networking and familiarity, but is not anywhere near the deciding factor in whether or not you will get a particular residency position. In the end, it's about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a bunch for the info! It will make my decision to pick a school a lot more easier. Good luck with your residency!

It can help alot, especially if that school is affiliated with a residency site. For example, at UIC it is well known that half of the spots at the Jesse Brown VA residency are pretty much for UIC students since they get to know them so well if they are on rotation there.