Residency and Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miss155

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

If you wanted to get into Derm or Radiation Oncology or plastics, is it that you must make all honors in all your classes or is there a specific proportion one should achieve. I am almost done with my first year and questions about residency are really starting to come up. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

BUMP.

great post! i thought i was the only one feeling this way these days. :( it seems that everytime i turn around somebody's bragging about how they're honoring this or that, and i can't seem to get to that point. i'm nowhere near the bottom, but as for HONORING a class, my other grades would take a dive.

any advice here? i know that first year grades are pretty miniscule compared to your entire application, but i need to know that it's possible to get a solid match (up to 3rd choice) with steady application and hard work.

i've been seriously bummed out, OP. thanks for writing this.

USMLE > 3rd year >>>> 1 + 2nd year.

Members don't see this ad :)
any advice here? i know that first year grades are pretty miniscule compared to your entire application, but i need to know that it's possible to get a solid match (up to 3rd choice) with steady application and hard work.

Like medical school admissions, it's not a cut-and-dried process, everything operates on a continuum. Is it better to honor everything than to honor nothing? Of course, and anyone who tells you not to worry about it is a liar. Is it an app killer when you don't honor everything? Of course not, but then you have to start looking at how you can compensate for mediocre clinical grades (ie - taking Step 2 early and scoring well).

You also have to account for your specialty and your eventual goals. Do you want Derm or Rad Onc? Better get on top of some research. Want IM at UCLA with an eventual Mayo Cardiology fellowship? Better have a sweet Step 1 score. Want to get into any anesthesia program? Relax a little, you'll be fine with a couple honors and a slightly above-average Step 1 score.

I was told that when it comes to clinical grades, the most important thing is to do your damnedest to get honors in the field you want to go in to. If you want Plastics, it's a little more important to honor surgery than psychiatry.

Standard Critical Mass advice:

Do your best. The rest will work itself out.

If you have one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday, you're pissing on today.

Standard Critical Mass advice:

Do your best. The rest will work itself out.

If you have one foot in tomorrow and one foot in yesterday, you're pissing on today.

That only applies to females. I, personally, can hover over today and piss on next week. holler!