Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Residency and Internship Questions

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by jbod34, Jul 23, 2006.

1. jbod34

jbod34 Member

Hey guys. I appreciate how helpful everyone has been on this site in the past and I was wondering if you would allow me to pick your brain again: I am currently begining my 4th year at LECOM and am definately going to do EM.

1. I have experienced a bit of a bump in my schedule and it is unfortunately going to cause me to finish my 4th year about a month after the July 1 start date for most internships/residencies. I have been hospitalized for renal stones and then I gave birth to my first child and took some time for that. I am leaning toward a DO internship with a MD residency. I hate to burden the program for the month that I wouldn't be there b/c the other residents would have to carry my load but I really really don't want to wait a whole year just b/c I'll be a month off schedule. If I have to take a year then I will b/c there is nothing more important to me than the well being of my son and my husband. Medicine will always be here but I would rather not take the entire year. How do you think programs would respond to this problem? I'm sure I'm not the only one that has ever done this. I would be upfront about it to the programs that I am applying to.

2. What do some residency programs mean when they say that if you do a seperate internship year you might run into funding issues? I believe that the programs who mention this are 1-4 or 1-3 year.

Thanks so much,
    Jen

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EM_Rebuilder

EM_Rebuilder Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I am a starting 4th year as well but will do my best to answer the question on funding (this is as much as I understand it and certainly welcome someone to correct me if I am wrong).

The initial length of residency you are locked into sets the amount of funding that the government will pay. Say you apply to EM, but do not match, and scramble to FP. After one year of FP, you again apply to EM. Now the problem is that by matching in FP, you were given 3 years of payment, now that you re-apply to EM, and lets say match, you have 3 more years of residency, but only 2 years or pay since you used up year 1 as the FP resident.... the EM program has to foot your bill the last year.

As I understand, if you apply to a straight transitonal year, then you are not locked into a time frame. So, you apply for EM and scramble for a transitional year, after that year you match into a 1-3, 1-4, 2-4....As far as pay goes, its like you never even had a year of residency so now the program does not have to pay your salary...

Hopefully that made sense, and is correct information.

Good Luck...

4. USCDiver

USCDiver Percocet-R-US

Attending Physician
    More than likely, since it is just one month, you would merely have to sacrifice one of your elective months at some point in your training. Or stay one month late at the end of your program.

5. BKN

BKN Senior Member

To the OP, Divers first option makes sense. If you are one month too late to particpate in the match, it will be very difficult to get a postion and you'll end up waiting a year.

6. jbod34

jbod34 Member

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by being one month late to participate in the match. As far as I know I won't have any schedule problems as far as the match is concerned. Unless I have misunderstood the process.

7. BKN

BKN Senior Member

I'm talking about the allopathic match. I believe that if you finish med school or the DO traditional 1 month after July 1st, you can not participate in the match for that year. If you find away to get done by the end of June, you will be able to do so.

If I've misunderstood your post, my apologies.