Residency and Marraige Consideration?????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think ahead to residency. I have been dating my gf for 3 years. The idea of marraige has come up but we have also been talking about the possibility of me going far away for my residency. She would just simply go with me if I got married but the sticker is that she just (a year ago) started a new business---not only has she put a lot of her own $ into this thing, but has all sorts of business loans as well---take home message--this is not some ice-cream stand; it is a significant commitment that seems to have years of legs on it.

There are plenty of residency programs in her area that I would love to be a part of, but just don't know if it is do-able. My question is that if we were to get married, would residency programs take the wife's business into consideration? It seems like that applicant, if competitive, would be way far more likely to remain in that town and practice--from what I understand, that is what kind of Dr.s residency programs want to produce--someone who will stay around; hopefully join the affiliated practices.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm trying to think ahead to residency. I have been dating my gf for 3 years. The idea of marraige has come up but we have also been talking about the possibility of me going far away for my residency. She would just simply go with me if I got married but the sticker is that she just (a year ago) started a new business---not only has she put a lot of her own $ into this thing, but has all sorts of business loans as well---take home message--this is just an ice-cream stand; it is a significant commitment that seems to have years of legs on it.

There are plenty of residency programs in her area that I would love to be a part of, but just don't know if it is do-able. My question is that if we were to get married, would residency programs take the wife's business into consideration? It seems like that applicant, if competitive, would be way far more likely to remain in that town and practice--from what I understand, that is what kind of Dr.s residency programs want to produce--someone who will stay around; hopefully join the affiliated practices.

Well you happen to be in luck. Besides goooooober, I am also known as Dr. LOVE. You need to dump this girl and dump her fast. It sounds to me like she is completely taking over your life with this whole ice cream stand business. If she is willing to support you fully financially throughout residency, I mean fully (food, shelter, books, clothes, car, free ice creams etc.) then keep her till you have finished residency, then dump her.

Residencies consider wives dead weights. They like young, hip, cool, happening people, which excludes you. So dump her, get a new hair style, and show up to your interview with a few girls. You will score well. That's all for this edition of Dr. Love.

Well you happen to be in luck. Besides goooooober, I am also known as Dr. LOVE. You need to dump this girl and dump her fast. It sounds to me like she is completely taking over your life with this whole ice cream stand business. If she is willing to support you fully financially throughout residency, I mean fully (food, shelter, books, clothes, car, free ice creams etc.) then keep her till you have finished residency, then dump her.

Residencies consider wives dead weights. They like young, hip, cool, happening people, which excludes you. So dump her, get a new hair style, and show up to your interview with a few girls. You will score well. That's all for this edition of Dr. Love.

I like your style

Members don't see this ad :)
I like your style

I am glad. Of course I am kidding, about the marriage thing, not about being Dr. LOVE. Most residencies look to find applicants that are good fits. So if you have ties, including a dead weight (wife), in a particular geographical location you can certainly bring it up in your interviews and maybe even your PS. If they like you based on your scores and ****, they will consider it a bonus that you have ties and a stable situation at home. But, beware, if your wife or gf is ugly, then they will deduct points. So don't show any of her pics. I found this out the hard way when I applied back in 86 with pics of my third wife. Man, I must of been drunk. Good luck.

I am glad. Of course I am kidding, about the marriage thing, not about being Dr. LOVE. Most residencies look to find applicants that are good fits. So if you have ties, including a dead weight (wife), in a particular geographical location you can certainly bring it up in your interviews and maybe even your PS. If they like you based on your scores and ****, they will consider it a bonus that you have ties and a stable situation at home. But, beware, if your wife or gf is ugly, then they will deduct points. So don't show any of her pics. I found this out the hard way when I applied back in 86 with pics of my third wife. Man, I must of been drunk. Good luck.

applause.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.