residency and research oportunities for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this topics has been already talked about. I am new to this board.
I am currently in the proccess of applying to medical schools. I find the philosophy pertaining to DO fascinating. My question is in regards to residency oppurtunities for the DO program. From what I have heard, even though both MD's and DO's go through similar educational processes, chances of getting surgical residency for DO are slim. I was wondering if that rumer was true.
In addition, how does research opportunities for DO's compare to MD's?
Thanks for any information in this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

Hello Mazya,

I have been accepted to both allopathic and
osteopathic med schools. I have just decided to attend Chicago College Of Osteopathic Medicine!!! To answer your question, first
I would like to mention that yes, the curriculum for MD and DO are mirror images, except for the additional study DO Students get with Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM). As far as residency oppurtunities, I personally think it is up to the individual
regardless of whether you are DO or MD. If you are considering a residency in Surgery you first have to look at whether you are competitive enough (grade wise). If you have got the numbers let's say i.e., you are in the top 5% of your class then at that point your scores on your boards speak for themselves. At least this is what I have heard ? As far as research opportunities I believe it depends what school you get into
if you are gunho about research, then you should apply to those schools that are known as research oriented medical schools. One last thing I would like to mention is that what ever road you choose DO or MD, it is what you make of it, if you really want something then go after it, no matter what it takes (within reason). Good luck and if you can please reply and perhaps you can comment on what you find fascinating about DO philosphy ??

Victor

Reactions: 1 user