Residency app: How to address LOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GladifImakeit

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sadly, I have a leave of absence in my history that I just can't get rid of. Yes, I was depressed. How do I best address this on my residency app? Is it possible to turn a lemon into lemonade? Serious replies only, please.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you did during your time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a little research (might get a pub) and took some spanish classes. Was gone 6 months then back to med school.

Well, initially I wasn't planning to do that stuff - I had to take a leave cuz I was depressed. Does it matter?

Look, everyone has to spin things at some point in your life.

Put together the best story you can and keep it short, then change the subject. E.g. "I was doing some research and taking spanish courses, then I did take a few months off for personal reasons. After that I was able to ____________" on to something more positive or a strength. Also, you could completely omit the depression or personal leave, only talking about research and spanish classes. People have succeeded with far worse things than a LOA, you just need to have confidence and spin correctly.

If you try this enough times, you will find success and can move on with your life.

Good luck. The first step is believing in yourself.

Not really sure how to answer your question, but I was in a similar situation...took a one-semester LOA for "personal reasons." During my time off, I got a couple jobs because I needed to pay rent and bills. Was doing well academically before the leave, and have done well since then. I'm just hoping the rest of my application speaks for my abilities, committment, etc. It's all you can really do, no?

We're all human, and shi+ happens. Careers are important, but they're not the only thing in life. You confronted your depression, had the commitment to come back to med school and finish and pursue your career. You moved on. Will programs be concerned about a relapse and you needing more time off? Probably. But even somebody without a prior leave might face a crisis and be in the same boat. Who can predict? Actually, now that I've said that, I wonder if there's data out there that would show you're more likely to need more time off in the future... I'd think something like this would be a learning experience, make you stronger, and better able to cope with future problems now that you've dealt with something major. At least, that is how I feel about my own situation. Good luck to you.

I sure feel ready to deal with the unexpected having been through depression. I feel like I've had to get tougher as a result. Here's to hoping for some generous PDs.