Residency Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where are you shooting for residency?

• West

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Southwest

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Midwest

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • East

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Northeast

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Southeast

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys are applying for OB this year? Is this forum usually this quiet?

GD

Members don't see this ad.

unforunately this is a very quite forum...there are a few out there, but not a huge following for ob/gyn. i think this may reflect the general lack of interest that is hurting the specialty right now.

but, i am strongly considering ob/gyn, match 2006. still looking at gen surg though. based on geography alone, i hope to match in cali or the west, regardless of specialty. but, i would be happy almost anywhere that will give me good training...

good luck to you GD!

Thanks for the reply Neil. Its good to hear from you!

By the way (on an unrelated note) have the St. Chris kids stopped pestering you :)? Last I saw your posts, i was on Network54.

Good luck with your search for residency!

Regards

GD

Members don't see this ad :)
atually, yes...st chris seems to have booted the annonymous on-line stooges and they seem to have a growing little school. most of the folks that i read now from st chris are nice, well informed people. so, thank god that is over!!! who knows, maybe that school will turn into a great place soon, seems to be on the path now. also, i think that network54 forum is dead now...there is a decent forum at valuemd.com that replaced it, and it is informative, if a bit dull....none of the bs from network54, but none of the interesting personality disorders as well.

are you looking for obs/gyn next year? i am very interested in the feild, nice combo of primary care + operating time...but the liability issues freak me out. not that gen surg is not a liablility problem as well, but geez, these ob/gyns are getting sued and screwed. what is your take? why ob/gyn? and where are you headed?

good luck!

I am hoping to match in Ob this year. I am a US citizen FMG, working on ERAS daily. I wish this board was more active, so instead of lurking I thought I would start talking. Anyone else?

I am applying for a residency in OB/GYN this year and many of the questions I have posted are never answered. From what I have been told OB/GYN should not be very tuff this year. What programs are the rest of you going to apply to?

I am from Florida, and want to be in the South east. Right now i am still compiling a list, but hope to apply to IMG friendly programs in any of the southern states. I am still trying to decide as I dont want to limit myself too much.

I did rotations in NY, and really did not like the area, so I am still trying to decide how wide open the field is- i.e. should i apply to programs in NY bc they are so IMG friendly, and i am familiar with them, or not apply to any.

How about you or anyone else out there?

I'm a DO student applying to allopathic OB/GYN programs this year...mainly applying to programs in Cali...and probably Arizona

yeah, this forum is really quiet...

thanks for doing the poll!

kiki :clap: <--me, happy because i just took the USMLE yesterday...hopefully I'll be happy when I receive my score! :D

I am going to apply to about 20 programs and see how many interviews I get. I am also a D.O. Student applying for the allopathic match. I am looking at AZ, CA, Utah, Colorado, Washington, and some programs in the East as well. If I were you I would apply to the programs that you rotated at even if you are not sure about wanting to do residency in New York. What have you guys heard about the CA programs? I heard that USC is really bad.

Since it is tough for IMGs in California, I havent been looking too much in California. What have you heard about USC? I might apply to the Kaiser programs- any input on those?

I heard that the USC program was maligant and that the numbers (sgx and del) there are going down. I have heard good things about Kaiser. They have good numbers and the people there are happy.

I leave for 2 days and the posts come flying in...

Thanks for your input everyone.

I am shooting straight into the SE corner of the US.

GD

Originally posted by Global Disrobal
I leave for 2 days and the posts come flying in...

Thanks for your input everyone.

I am shooting straight into the SE corner of the US.

GD

What all programs are you looking at right now? I won't be applying until next year, but I'll be looking at the Southeast. I'd be interested to hear anyone's feedback on SE programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, a lot of people interested in the southeast! I can't seem to go further than the Colorado Rockies!

I agree about USC...I don't think I will apply there...I have not heard anything good about that program...So far I'm looking at UC Irvine and UCSF Fresno...doing an away rotation at UCI and a sub-I at UCSF...so we'll see how it goes!

azdoc- i take it from your screen name you're from Arizona, what can you tell me about any programs there? Don't know much about them...

let's keep this thread movin'! The OB/GYN forum has surprisingly been active for once!

Any input on Cali programs would be great...I need to compile my list of programs since I am working on ERAS as I speak!

I thought I would go with the active posting.......

Does anybody have any input on Oschner and Tulane in New Orleans? I have heard that Tulane has had some problems, but I had never even heard of Oschner. New Orleans would not be a bad place to live although there is a lot of crime.

What is the story with USC?

I finished most of ERAS yesterday, and am selecting programs now. How many are most people applying to?

USC is a county hospital by South Central LA. I am not as familiar with its OB dept as I am with Path and Heme-Onc, but its always been known that you're going to be a "work horse" at County.

Of course my opinion can be biased since I am always going to be a Bruin :)

As for the number of programs, i am applying to 8.

I go to Kaiser Permanent? for my healthcare!

Originally posted by jd807
I might apply to the Kaiser programs- any input on those?

good post...lol

I personally believe in the go to your review books and take whatever free samples you inherited on your rotations healthcare system.

I'm nowhere near trying to mathch into OB, but I was wondering about a couple of Cali programs, specifically fellowship opportunities in MFM after a residency at UCLA vs. UCLA/Cedars-Sinai?

good to see the forum bumpin' :)

KIKI2004,

I rotated at Maricopa County (The Phoenix integrated program) as a Sub I and I am currently rotating at Good Sam as a Sub I. The Maricopa program is good, but they have never taken a D.O. and I was told if I was interested that I would probably have to due a prelim year. They have taken a few FMG's. Additionally, they have to spend half there time at a second hospital (Saint Joe's). I found that some of the residents were happy and others were not. Last year they had two spots available after the match and had to go down to number 40 on there rank list to fill the seven categorical spots. I am not going to apply to the U of A program, because I have heard that they don't have the numbers and I don't want to go to Tucson. The Good Sam program is very good and right now it is my number one choice. The residents are great. They usually only go down there rank list about 15 at the most. I hope this helps.

Doc Ivy,

UCLA doesn't have the numbers. They had a few spots last year unmatched for residency. In OB/GYN and MFM fellowship you need numbers and you won't get them at UCLA.

Hate to disagree AZDOC but UCLA offers two categories of positions. Categorical and Prelimenary spots and it was the latter that did not fill.

The program is strong but as a resident you'll lose out to Fellows. However if MFM is what you plan to pursue, then stick with them as they are a big name institution. If not then shoot for a smaller program without fellows so that you can get the numbers in terms of surgery (you'll get delivery numbers no matter where you go)

UCLA-Cedars is another good program however it is a pain to be at Cedars. The traffic, cost, and hassles of that part of Beverly Hills wear on you after a while! If given the option go with the UCLA program.

Thanks a million AZDOC, you too Global

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about programs in AZ and CA, two areas I'd like to practice in. What programs in SoCal would give the depth of experience needed to secure a fellowship? I'm guessing USC/LAC County residents get a ton of experience because it is a poor and understaffed hospital, but if it is a malignant program then I'd like to consider other options.

Hey AZDOC...to set up the battle ground:

no self respecting Bruin can ever agree with a Zona person :D even though you guys temporarily own us in B-ball

Good luck with the match bud

Wow! This thread is going on page 2!

UCLA filled all their categorical spots in OB/GYN this year...but they didn't fill either of their two prelim OB/GYN spots...I know someone who scrambled into one of the prelim spots this year...as far as I know, those prelim spots never fill...

Thanks for the info, azdoc, that really helps. I wonder why U of A doesn't have the numbers? I assumed they would be a strong program. Do you know if they have ever taken a DO?

How funny, we're all on at the same time...And I just wrote the same post you did!

I am personally trying to pass time...

Ace Ventura on HBO is just not keeping me busy. BTW can one of you start a thread. I am running out of poll ideas. Soon I'll have to resort to polling your votes about the Cali re-election

Will do, Global Disrobal!

Btw, I am a bruin, too...it would bring tears to my eyes if I ended up doing my residency at USC! :laugh: j/k

you graduated in 97? So did I... Were you an "Organismic Biology and Evolutionary Ecology" (aka Biology) major?

Please stay away from SC. Any hospital that has residents getting stabbed by disgruntled patients in not a good one to go to

Attention UCLA LOVERS:

I have nothing against UCLA. However, I knew that the positions that didn't fill were prelim and there is a reason for it. It is because UCLA was/is going to lose one of there main teaching hospitals. I can't remember the name. At Cedars the patients all want there private doc's doing the work and thus many of resident don't get to do anything there. In the past, UCLA could fill the prelim positions no problem. USC use to have a great program, but they lost tons of patients to the other hospitals. (The other hospitals signed contracts to take the uninsured). USC is also Malignant. As a D.O. I would not even apply to U OF A.

Oh, UCLA actually lost in basketball to Northern Arizona University in the Big Sky Conference this past year. Sorry to pour salt in the wounds.

Thats news to me...which hospital are they losing? The only rumor I heard was that the were going to close down Santa Monica, but that was just that , a rumor.

I still stand by what I said... want a fellowship go to big name, and since IvyDoc was mentioning LA that would be UCLA.

Lumberjacks...ey? :D Where are you shooting for AZDoc?

Originally posted by AZDOC
Attention UCLA LOVERS:

I have nothing against UCLA. However, I knew that the positions that didn't fill were prelim and there is a reason for it. It is because UCLA was/is going to lose one of there main teaching hospitals. I can't remember the name. At Cedars the patients all want there private doc's doing the work and thus many of resident don't get to do anything there. In the past, UCLA could fill the prelim positions no problem. USC use to have a great program, but they lost tons of patients to the other hospitals. (The other hospitals signed contracts to take the uninsured). USC is also Malignant. As a D.O. I would not even apply to U OF A.

Oh, UCLA actually lost in basketball to Northern Arizona University in the Big Sky Conference this past year. Sorry to pour salt in the wounds.

ouch! that hurt...

Global Disrobal,

I am sorry to disagree with you again, but UCLA isn't it. UCLA is a big gun for other things but not OB/GYN. If you want a fellowship in REI go to SD and if you want MFM go to UCI. This is what people in both REI and MFM are saying.

I will find the name of the hospital that is/was going to close.

UCLA also lost its program director for OB/GYN this past year.

I would like to say in AZ and go to Good Sam. They have an MFM program and MFM doc's from everywhere including UCI and USC. I am rotating with them this month.

Alright AZDoc...I don't want to turn this into the UCLA forum, but:

It seems like the opinions regarding UCI and UCSD are somewhat biased and skewed. UCSD is not even ranked in the top 50 hospitals in the nation overall or in Gynecology. UCI is right above SC and thats not saying much. Going back to my original point, trying to secure a fellowship (not just where one trains, but at other programs) you are better off coming from a bigger name facility and program than a smaller one. And i challenge you to show me that UCI or UCSD are a bigger name than UCLA when it comes to that.

Anyhow, keep on posting. Its good to see this forum coming alive. And good luck with the app process!

I feel like it's "Beat $C" week or something in this forum!

Yes, Global Disrobal , I am a proud product of the Bruin Class of 1997! And yes, I was a "everybody-and-their-brother-at-UCLA-is-a-Biology" major...

About 1/3 of my class seem to be from UCLA....we're everywhere!
Can I get an 'eight-clap"? :clap:

I have to agree with the above post...big name schools make a difference. Although I do have to mention UCI (go Anteaters!) has a pretty good reputation. One of my OB/GYN attendings this past year said UCI was one of the best programs....hence the reason why it is my first choice! (I'll see how much I like it there starting Monday!) But I will admit, if you come from UCLA regardless, that seems to have more clout then say, you're a resident from UCI or UCSD...I guess that's the nature of the beast.

My top choices in Cali so far:
1. UCI
2. UCSF-Fresno
3. UCLA or Kaiser SoCal or Kaiser NoCal (3-way tie)

Thanks so much guys for the info, I'll look in to Irvine. UCI wasn't even on my radar until now. Why did UCLA lose its PD???

Kiki, I heard a generalization that Kaiser programs should be avoided, is that not true for OBGyn, or did I miss something?

Oh, and good point Global, last time I checked UCLA medical center was in the top 15 for gyn services (according to US News hospital rankings).... what gives AZdoc? :)

Originally posted by Doc Ivy
Oh, and good point Global, last time I checked UCLA medical center was in the top 15 for gyn services (according to US News hospital rankings).... what gives AZdoc? :)

way to go, Doc Ivy! :cool:

I'll let you know how UCI's program pans out...I start my rotation there on Monday...as far as Kaiser, I haven't heard anything about staying away from their programs. Quite the contrary! It seems everyone wants to go to their programs now! I guess because of they supposedly have great hours and great $alary!

Both Kaiser SoCal and NoCal programs seem pretty nice...but maybe it depends on the specialty. the Kaiser FP programs are not highly regarded here in Cali at all! But Peds, OB/GYN, and Neurology at Kaiser Sunset/LA are all pretty strong!

The UCLA name matters to your Mom and Dad, but it doesn't matter to people in the field of OB/GYN. I have nothing against UCLA and was actually going to apply, but decide against it. The US News ranking don't mean anything for the quality of residency programs. Anyways, Stanford has a better name than UCLA and does that mean Stanford has a better OB/GYN program?

Doc Ivy, Let me know about UCI. I am going to apply and have heard very good things about their MFM program.

I hope we can end this UCLA thing, because I am only talking about OB/GYN programs at UCLA.

hey - i'm a true new yorker and want to stay here for residency (or at least as close as possible). can anyone tell me a little about the programs in manhattan or close by manhattan?
what sort of board scores are needed and how competative are they to match?
thanks!

I just couldn't let this thread die! 3 pages and counting...

jst, I don't know much about programs back east or southeast for that matter. However, I suggest the best thing to do is research the programs by looking on websites like FRIEDA and Scutwork.com- residents will write reviews about the programs on this one. Sometimes this is the best way to get info, it's like getting it straight from the horse's mouth. I've noticed the residents that write reviews on this website seem to be very honest.

The best thing to do is to think what you want to get out of an OB/GYN program. Do you see yourself at a primarily community-based residency program? Do you want a lot of exposure to surgery? Do you want to pursue a fellowship? Once you've thought about that, just peruse the website and read up on the programs you're interested in.

Good luck!

I am also a DO applying to allopathic programs. I've applied to 15 all west of Missouri. (I was born and raised here and would like to have an excuse to get out!) I am getting a little nervous b/c I have yet to hear from any of them..... I keep checking my email and keeping my fingers crossed!