Residency application: Clinical year vs. basic science years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moon333

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pathology is the only specialty I am interested in. I have a burning question concerning the strength of my residency application to pathology. I have really stressed out over this as I heard different things from different sources.

I graduated from a top 20 medical school in the U.S. I have almost straight As in my first two years (GPA 3.9), good Step I (235), very good LOR and bench research with decent publications during and after med school. However, I had two below-average grades (for FP and OB/GYN rotations) during my third year--- I have 1 honor, 3 Bs and 2 Cs for all six core cliniacl rotations in 3rd year. Because our Dean's letter is based on third year so that it is not that great either.

One of the post on the Pathology forum talked about "not have blemishes on your third year rotations". Some people told me that pathology programs look at your first two year basic science grades seriously and third year (clinical year) is less important for pathology. However, there are people telling me the opposite.

The area I live in has only several path programs and they are all very good programs. As I hate to leave the area where family is to do 4 year residency somewhere else, I am very stressed out over this. I will apply for residency next year and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some info and advices on this.

GreatPumpkin: I sent you an e-mail about this already. I hope that you can give me some advices.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to add one more question to my post: Will a very high Step II score (>240) significantly help my situation?

Hey, haven't seen an email maybe try again I get so much junk mail in my box I may have accidently deleted it.

You should have no problem matching in one of your top 2 or 3 choices. You will be considered a strong candidate. Now if you really want to increase your chances at a specific program do a rotation there. Show them that you are a hard worker, fun to work with and trainable. That is all they are really looking for.

Sure doing well on step 2 will be good, but I think programs look at your application as a whole not one paticular part. (unless something terrrible in it hehe) A couple of bad grades does not count as terrible.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll tell you more after the match... but I doubt you would be hurting for a good residency. Are you researching right now?

Mindy

Thank you, GreatPumpkin and Mindy! I feel a lot better. I am still doing bench research in the molecular diagnostoic field.