Residency Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im an OMS1 and just curious about residency application (lol.. i know im early). I just want to know if there is anything I can do to better my chances. For ex. I was just presented with a EC opportunity that takes 2 hours per week out of my schedule. I'm still adjusting to the academics of it all and am nervous this might crumble me (even though its 2 hours). What should be my number 1 goal? besides academics, to achieve a great residency application.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Unless that EC is working with the director of a residency who knows the directors of 10 other residencies I would recommend you focus on your academics.

Your goal now is studying hard, not burning out, getting a good step 1 score, not 'saving' the world or being useful.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude you just skipped a thousand + steps. You're literally a couple weeks into first year- focus on year one and revisit this question midway through third year.

Reactions: 1 user
Academics...

This. Focus on doing well. Unless its purely a connection-making thing, which it doesn't sound like if it requires 2 hr a week indefinitely, then its not worth it. No one is going to care about that EC when you are automatically screened by an algorithm for getting 5 or 10 points less on boards.

I just want to know if there is anything I can do to better my chances.

I don't know how many residency program directors frequent this forum besides me, but from my standpoint, EC volunteering opportunities are almost useless unless they're foreign missions or something similar, that show a bit more time commitment and effort. Other PDs I speak to feel the same way.

Every single residency application we receive has tons of EC activities, so EC experiences don't really impress me. It's difficult to answer your question on how to improve your chances for residency application, because this is specialty-dependent. Some specialties look for tons of research, others don't. Same with publications, etc.

For me, a strong applicant is someone that is very strong academically (top of the class, no board failures, solid board scores) and also shows commitment to the field (family medicine). Such commitment can be shown in EC activities like spending time in underserved communities (that are not part of some medical school club's activity as everyone has those on their resume) or by providing care in foreign medical missions. We have to try to figure out who's a solid applicant who also wants to be a family doc, as opposed to the solid applicant who's applying as a back-up.

Also, if you're applying to primary care residencies, don't declare your membership in specialty clubs. We get a lot of applications that have "Orthopedic interest group secretary", "Dermatology Club president"...etc. I tend to think you're applying to my program as a back-up, and I don't want to interview you over someone who might not be as academically strong as you, but has more of a commitment to becoming a good family doc.

Reactions: 6 users
I don't know how many residency program directors frequent this forum besides me, but from my standpoint, EC volunteering opportunities are almost useless unless they're foreign missions or something similar, that show a bit more time commitment and effort. Other PDs I speak to feel the same way.

Every single residency application we receive has tons of EC activities, so EC experiences don't really impress me. It's difficult to answer your question on how to improve your chances for residency application, because this is specialty-dependent. Some specialties look for tons of research, others don't. Same with publications, etc.

For me, a strong applicant is someone that is very strong academically (top of the class, no board failures, solid board scores) and also shows commitment to the field (family medicine). Such commitment can be shown in EC activities like spending time in underserved communities (that are not part of some medical school club's activity as everyone has those on their resume) or by providing care in foreign medical missions. We have to try to figure out who's a solid applicant who also wants to be a family doc, as opposed to the solid applicant who's applying as a back-up.

Also, if you're applying to primary care residencies, don't declare your membership in specialty clubs. We get a lot of applications that have "Orthopedic interest group secretary", "Dermatology Club president"...etc. I tend to think you're applying to my program as a back-up, and I don't want to interview you over someone who might not be as academically strong as you, but has more of a commitment to becoming a good family doc.

As a OMSII with a very strong interest in rural family medicine what type of EC not involved with a club do you recommend? Being in a small location it is difficult to find activities that do not have club involvement. I have participated in all the rural health clinics around the area but most of those are club involved. I don't really have the ability to do a foreign mission at the moment but have done one in undergrad. Ideally I am trying to get a Rocky Mountain region residency more in the northern regions but they do not seem to be as DO friendly.

Well, be aware that what I posted is general information that applies mainly to me and some of my colleagues, might not be universal. Certainly, if you have few choices for EC activities then make sure to note that in your application. Club-related EC involvement is better than none at all. It's just that pretty much everyone has club-related activities so you have to find a way to separate yourself from the pack.

The fact that you did an undergrad mission is noteworthy (shows me you've had this interest for a while and you're not one of those applicants who "discovered" they love family medicine after they found out their board scores preclude them from ortho or derm).

I would definitely recommend including your interest in rural family medicine as a prominent part of your personal statement.

Bottom line: Family medicine PDs struggle to find good, solid applicants that actually have a passion for family medicine. We get a lot of people that use FM as a backup and waste our interview time (and ROL), or that suddenly like FM because they found out their board scores are not competitive for specialties. I'm not saying those applicants won't make good FM docs, it's just that there's a noticeable difference between a resident that has a passion for FM and one that does not. Both will finish the program, but one is more of a pleasure to work with and teach. If you can convey your passion in your application, that's a big plus.

Two hours a week will be doable eventually. Once you figure out how to handle the academics it'll be worth it to spend 2/168 of your week on something you enjoy even if it doesn't directly impact your residency application... but figure out the academics first.

Reactions: 3 users
When I reviewed residency (and later fellowship) applications, I focused on academics (and what the LORs had to say, as well as MSPE). The ECs (even leadership in ECs) were just stuff I look at to see if anything is interesting (and usually something for me to talk about during interviews)

The ECs were never a factor when it came time to meet and rank the candidates. Never even discussed (and to be frank, given the amount of interviewees the faculty interview, we probably wouldn't remember anyway without having your application folder open in front of us)

All great advice. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge!

Well, be aware that what I posted is general information that applies mainly to me and some of my colleagues, might not be universal. Certainly, if you have few choices for EC activities then make sure to note that in your application. Club-related EC involvement is better than none at all. It's just that pretty much everyone has club-related activities so you have to find a way to separate yourself from the pack.

The fact that you did an undergrad mission is noteworthy (shows me you've had this interest for a while and you're not one of those applicants who "discovered" they love family medicine after they found out their board scores preclude them from ortho or derm).

I would definitely recommend including your interest in rural family medicine as a prominent part of your personal statement.

Bottom line: Family medicine PDs struggle to find good, solid applicants that actually have a passion for family medicine. We get a lot of people that use FM as a backup and waste our interview time (and ROL), or that suddenly like FM because they found out their board scores are not competitive for specialties. I'm not saying those applicants won't make good FM docs, it's just that there's a noticeable difference between a resident that has a passion for FM and one that does not. Both will finish the program, but one is more of a pleasure to work with and teach. If you can convey your passion in your application, that's a big plus.

Thank you very much for your advice. I have never had any desire to go into any other field so I hope that shows! It is always nice to hear from people who look at applications!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile