Residency applications from out of state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrunchyPeanutButter

ACCEPTED MD - Class of 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When applying as a Pre-Med, it is usually said an applicant has a higher chance at acceptance to their in state public schools.

Does any one know if this is the case for residency? Or is it more the location where of where one goes to medical school?

I.e. Do you still have an instate bias to your home state which you are a resident even if you go to an OOS school?

(If this would be better suited in the MD forum, please move)

(Also please do not quote.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As long as you have the scores and are competitive for the program, you have a chance regardless of location. Where you end up marching is a different story.

Are you a pre-med currently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
As long as you have the scores and are competitive for the program, you have a chance regardless of location. Where you end up marching is a different story.

Are you a pre-med currently?

Thank you for your answer! I am an accepted MD applicant, trying to decide between some schools!

I also just wondered if state of residency would impact anything as much as it did for getting into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance.

You should be just fine and should have many options provided you do well on board exams and demonstrate an interest in whichever specialty you decide to pursue.

Try to soak up this time, get ready for grad, and best of luck to you in the next chapter of your medical training!

Reactions: 1 user
@Forever Geebs

Thank you for your input and kind words.

I do understand a lot of it is board scores, research, rotations, letters, AOA etc..

I am leaning towards a school on the other side of the country, and wondered if any weight was put into state of residency.

As I said, I appreciate your help.

Put simply, there's no state bias like there is in med admissions in residency selection since they're hiring you as an employee of the hospital system rather than taking you on as a student of the university.

Residency classes will often geographically skew toward nearby schools, but that's more due to the fact that people tend to prefer to stay local more than they prefer to move across the country than any other variable.

Reactions: 4 users
Residencies have no preference for home state of residence. The program directors just want the best cohorts they can get. The state isn’t paying/subsidizing the salaries. The residents’ salaries are funded with fed dollars.

I've heard conflicting things - not regarding in-state status, but regarding where you went to school. Hopefully, you do audition rotations in the programs you want to match in, regardless of where you're currently located... but I would think it would be easier to match into a facility if they've seen you multiple times throughout third year as well, and you've excelled there. Lots of programs look like they take their own, with more residents coming from the associated school than any other school.

I would think if your ideal program (with your knowledge so far) is a home program at one of the schools you've been accepted to, that could play a factor.

if you're a qualified candidate with regards to STEP1 scores, you're a qualified candidate. You should receive interview invites. The tricky thing is getting those invites. Although there's not a bias, residencies only have limited and fixed amount of interview slots and days so they can't interview everyone. They also want to interview people who will most likely come to their program. They can't rank people they don't interview and want to fill all their slots. So, like wingedox said, there will be some geographic skew. If they see you're born and raised, spent undergrad and medical school in Texas, the likelihood that you'd be willing to go to the East or West coast for residency is unlikely hence those programs will likely not send an invite. You can send them a personal email and state your interest and they'll likely slot you into a spot that opens. So, don't take not getting an interview invite as a ding on your record, they probably didn't think you'd go. Same thing if you're coming from a top medical school and applied broadly for residency some of the lower tier programs may not give you an invite just because they don't think you'd come there anyway.