Residency Benefits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miami_med

Moving Far Away
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a little OT from the usual banter on this forum. Let's say that an applicant who was interested in general surgery had a family which included a child with a pre-existing condition which made it very difficult to get private health insurance. The condition isn't one of those that requires any significant time commitment on the part of the parent beyond normal parenting, but it does get in the way of buying insurance for the family. Because of this, and the obvious expenses associated with having a family, the applicant is looking for a solid GS program with good clinical training in a reasonably affordable area that offers full or reasonably affordable health insurance benefits through the program to dependents of the resident.

While there is a checkbox on Freida, there is essentially nothing that is both accurate and up to date reflecting these costs on the net. I'm just wondering if anyone on here had any inside knowledge about any places that met this criteria. Geography is FAR less important than the above requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not necessarily recommending this program, but my former residency program has the data you are looking for on-line: http://www.hmc.psu.edu/residency/benefits/

Thus, I suspect other programs do as well. I'd just start selecting programs you think you might be interested in for other reasons, be competitive at, etc. and check their web sites for the info. The GME office as well can probably provide you with the info.

I am not necessarily recommending this program, but my former residency program has the data you are looking for on-line: http://www.hmc.psu.edu/residency/benefits/

Thus, I suspect other programs do as well. I'd just start selecting programs you think you might be interested in for other reasons, be competitive at, etc. and check their web sites for the info. The GME office as well can probably provide you with the info.

Ditto. Most programs list that type of stuff on their residency website. If a program you are interested in doesn't, contact their education coordinator or GME office and ask.