Residency/Board Exams confused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAFOOT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys i'm new to this field and trying to learn as much about it as i can. I have a few questions about boards and residency programs i'm somewhat confused about.

First of all what is the name of the boards when you take them your 2nd and 4th year in pod school? Then are you graded on it or is it a pass/fail test?

Now for residency is there another test to get accepted for residency programs? If so what is that called? If there is no test then what determines how well of a residency u get into? pod school gpa?

Thanks guys really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys i'm new to this field and trying to learn as much about it as i can. I have a few questions about boards and residency programs i'm somewhat confused about.

First of all what is the name of the boards when you take them your 2nd and 4th year in pod school? Then are you graded on it or is it a pass/fail test?

Now for residency is there another test to get accepted for residency programs? If so what is that called? If there is no test then what determines how well of a residency u get into? pod school gpa?

National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners (NBPME)
(www.nbpme.info)

Part I - end of 2nd year and is pass/fail
Part II - Towards end of 4th year and is pass/fail
Part III - Depends on the state in which you go to residency. Some states require that you take it before you start residency while others don't. I think that most states require that you take it at some point during residency though.

When you attend Podiatry school, you will take the National Board of Podiatric Medical Examiners (NBPME) Part 1 exam at the end of your second year and NBPME Part 2 exam during the latter half of the fourth year. Both NBPME Part 1 and Part 2 exams are graded on a Pass / Fail basis. Depending on what state you do your residency training in, you will either take the NBPME Part 3 exam (also known as PMLexis exam) right after graduating from Podiatry school or after your first year of residency training. Some states may not require the resident to take the NBPME Part 3 exam at all. NBPME Part 3 is actually graded on a scale of 55 - 100. If your score is between 55 - 74, you have failed the exam. Most states will report the actual NBPME Part 3 scores to the candidate. A few states still only report Pass / Fail status of NBPME Part 3 to the candidate.

Majority of the residency programs do not require a written exam during the residency interview process. The resident is usually selected on the basis of their school grades, letter of recommendations, performance in residency program interviews (both social, academic, and manual dexterity components), your school's clinical evaluations, CV, and residency application essay. If the program does require a written exam, it will also be included in the residency program evaluation of the student.

Upon completion of the residency training, you will be eligible to sit for the American Board of Podiatric Surgery (ABPS) and the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedic and Primary Podiatric Medicine (ABPOPPM) board certification exams. If you completed a two years Podiatric Surgical Residency Program (PM&S-24), you will be eligible to sit for the ABPS Foot Surgery written board certification exam. If you completed a three years Podiatric Surgical Residency Program (PM&S-36), you will be eligible to sit for both ABPS Foot Surgery and ABPS Reconstructive Rearfoot Surgery written board certification exams. Residents graduating from PM&S-24 and PM&S-36 programs will be eligible to take the ABPOPPM written board certification exams. After working a few years and amassing some cases, the candidate may sit for the oral compenent of the board certification exams.

I hope that this will clear up some of your confusions about the board exams.

Wow Jon and DPMGrad thanks a lot. There is a great dpm community on SDN thank you guys once again.