Residency (Civilian or HPSP) With Non-Medical Army Officer SO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medrnnr

Reaction score
How do civilian medical students with military SOs handle matching? My SO is a pilot in the Army. Would taking an HPSP scholarship increase the likelihood of us ending up together for my residency at an Army training hospital if we were married at that point? I had considered HPSP prior to meeting him, but I was not ready to commit at that time. It may be too late for me to secure a 3 year HPSP at this point, but I think the timing would have to be just right for me to match close enough to him through civilian match. Is anyone else in a similar situation or know a couple who is?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No personal knowledge, but did find a few things that may be helpful.

Hope that helps at least getting you and your future husband asking the right questions and planning his PCS moves and career progression in light of yours.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you both, for you have chosen a most difficult path.

Reactions: 1 user

Hope that helps at least getting you and your future husband asking the right questions and planning his PCS moves and career progression in light of yours.

Good luck and I hope for the best for you both, for you have chosen a most difficult path.
Below is the Army Publishing Directorate website to view the Army Regulations cited in the first link of the @armytrainingsir post.

There are some good details in the Information Paper. - PCS for schools doesn't qualify for MACP consideration - I didn't know that. I wonder if medical residency is considered a 'PCS for school'? 50 miles or one hour radius is considered joint. Valid requirement for both service members have to exist at the location. If one service member is already assigned, there are Time On Station (TOS) criteria that have to be met for reassignment so some separation is likely.

Does he plan on staying in for 20?

Army Publishing Directorate

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you so much for these resources!! Seems to be something like "the army will do its best, but no guarantees". I will speak with a recruiter to verify, and hopefully he/she has had a previous applicant with a similar situation to give me more info.

Below is the Army Publishing Directorate website to view the Army Regulations cited in the first link of the @armytrainingsir post.

There are some good details in the Information Paper. - PCS for schools doesn't qualify for MACP consideration - I didn't know that. I wonder if medical residency is considered a 'PCS for school'? 50 miles or one hour radius is considered joint. Valid requirement for both service members have to exist at the location. If one service member is already assigned, there are Time On Station (TOS) criteria that have to be met for reassignment so some separation is likely.

Does he plan on staying in for 20?

Army Publishing Directorate

I don't think he plans on staying for 20 at this point, but that doesn't mean he might change his mind in the future. Thank you for helping me ask the right questions when I speak with a recruiter. It's sometimes difficult to determine if they're bending the truth to tell you what you want to hear.

Went through this last year in the match. Short version of the story is the military claimed they would try to keep us together and after I matched they gave my spouse two choices both of which would leave us separated. They kept their plans from us until after I submitted my rank list and we got screwed. Do not trust anything they say.

Went through this last year in the match. Short version of the story is the military claimed they would try to keep us together and after I matched they gave my spouse two choices both of which would leave us separated. They kept their plans from us until after I submitted my rank list and we got screwed. Do not trust anything they say.

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Do you think you would have been able to match close enough to where your spouse is if you had done civilian match? Will he/she be able to join you at some point during residency?

I'm so sorry that happened to you. Do you think you would have been able to match close enough to where your spouse is if you had done civilian match? Will he/she be able to join you at some point during residency?
Just to clarify my spouse is in the military. I matched civilian. I could have matched 30 minutes away from one of the options if they would have been transparent. We will reunite soon.