residency & coming back to SD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a US born IMG from a caribbean medical school but originally from San Diego in the process of (still) figuring out my ROL and need some serious advice…!

I am applying to IM and have the choice between making a really good north east program (or the best an IMG can get) and a mediocre program in Texas as my #1 rank. Now, ultimately my number one goal is to move back to San Diego and work (literally the only thing I want after all this is over)… however I never got PTAL done because of timing so I'm stuck trying to decide between these two places. My only question is that someone told me it is much harder to come back to california after completing residency in the north east vs some place like Tx. I was wondering if there was any truth to this?? Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you have any insight or experience with this as I have to make a decision quick… Thank you!!!

- really what my question is just in general, how hard / realistic is it that a Carribean IMG (from San Diego) can get a job in San Deigo if they were to do their residency out of state? I know this is a specific question for a specific circumstance but any help or insight would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a US born IMG from a caribbean medical school but originally from San Diego in the process of (still) figuring out my ROL and need some serious advice…!

I am applying to IM and have the choice between making a really good north east program (or the best an IMG can get) and a mediocre program in Texas as my #1 rank. Now, ultimately my number one goal is to move back to San Diego and work (literally the only thing I want after all this is over)… however I never got PTAL done because of timing so I'm stuck trying to decide between these two places. My only question is that someone told me it is much harder to come back to california after completing residency in the north east vs some place like Tx. I was wondering if there was any truth to this?? Please let me know what your thoughts are and if you have any insight or experience with this as I have to make a decision quick… Thank you!!!

- really what my question is just in general, how hard / realistic is it that a Carribean IMG (from San Diego) can get a job in San Deigo if they were to do their residency out of state? I know this is a specific question for a specific circumstance but any help or insight would be very much appreciated!!! Thank you!!

It's doubtful it would matter. SD is saturated anyway, although I'm sure there will be a tiny paying position you could fill somewhere to start paying back those Carib school loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

I think you should go to NY. If its a stronger program then you'll do better when it comes to jobs. If you're willing to do primary care outpatient there's jobs in Cali for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can't imagine people who trained in Texas would be considered any less of an outsider in California compared to people trained on the east coast, as even El Paso is still >700 miles from San Diego. You should definitely rank the better northeast program #1, especially if the only reason you would rank the Texas program #1 is because you think it would make it easier to move back to SD eventually, because it likely won't. Going to the stronger program (if it's clearly considered stronger) will make it easier to go back to SD eventually.

Reactions: 3 users
Another Caribbean success story. Looks like the DO thread is slightly blowing them out of proportion.

Another Caribbean success story. Looks like the DO thread is slightly blowing them out of proportion.
Let's not jump the gun. OP hasn't matched yet! With that being said, best of luck to OP I hope they get into their number one choice!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Not to bag on OP at all... but maybe it would be better to get a complete picture as to his uphill climb. How many more hoops did he/she have to jump through than a US student, what were their board scores... number of applications sent... number of invitations received... Is OP's choice in IM his/her actual decision or him/her settling for the field because it was all that seemed obtainable amongst other options such as FM, Psych, etc.... and most importantly... would they ever do the Caribbean route over again? Nevertheless, good luck OP. You are almost there!

Reactions: 2 users
The only people who are surprised by Caribbean success stories are people who have no real knowledge of Caribbean student outcomes and rely solely on SDN fodder, supplied by a few extremely biased individuals, to form their opinions. >2600 US-IMGs matched last year, the vast majority of which came from Caribbean schools.

Yes there are high attrition/unmatched rates, probably ~30% total coming from the big Caribbean schools. But that still leaves ~70%, of the literally thousands, of students who successfully match into ACGME residency programs every year.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you not interested in a fellowship post-residency? Why not go to the better program to increase your odds of landing a solid fellowship spot and maybe at that time you'll have more options?

Yes I was thinking of possibly a fellowship in Heme/Onc. really depends on job demand and getting back home. If heme/onc has really poor job demand in SD than I'm likely to pass.

Are you not interested in a fellowship post-residency? Why not go to the better program to increase your odds of landing a solid fellowship spot and maybe at that time you'll have more options?

Listen, no one needs you trolling around here. Im asking for advise. If you don't have anything constructive to say then mind your own business. and with regards to what I have been through as a Caribbean grad, you have not a clue. I have worked harder than you could ever imagine, gone through more and sacrificed more than you could ever wrap your head around. At the end of 4 miserable years, doing everything completely on my own without a single support system, I have come out at the top of my class and all I ask for is to get back home. Thats it. Something that an AMG has the luxury to not worry about. So if you can't be empathetic, answer the question, or if you're unwilling to help, then take your opinion somewhere else and just be grateful your medical career isn't as tough as mine.

You want a job in SoCal as an IMG, your best bet by far is to try to match into a Kaiser SoCal residency and then stay on as an attending. Short of that, do a primary care residency anywhere.

Listen, no one needs you trolling around here. Im asking for advise. If you don't have anything constructive to say then mind your own business. and with regards to what I have been through as a Caribbean grad, you have not a clue. I have worked harder than you could ever imagine, gone through more and sacrificed more than you could ever wrap your head around. At the end of 4 miserable years, doing everything completely on my own without a single support system, I have come out at the top of my class and all I ask for is to get back home. Thats it. Something that an AMG has the luxury to not worry about. So if you can't be empathetic, answer the question, or if you're unwilling to help, then take your opinion somewhere else and just be grateful your medical career isn't as tough as mine.

Man Caribbean students sure have a problem with making assumptions.

Give me a break... The struggle is relative.... We all make sacrifices.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You aren't guaranteed a position in San Diego after you finish at any residency program. No matter how much you want a specific place, it might not happen. Go to whichever program can give you the best training and opportunities. Don't pick your fellowship as well by the market in just one town. That would be rather foolish.

LOL. I'm pretty sure he was praising you...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app