Residency competition/restriction for US IMG's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TryingOnceMore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the General Residency Issues forum, but thought it might work here as well.

This issue has been discussed before, but the latest that pops up when beginning a new thread is from 02/06/2011, so over a year and a half ago.

Does anyone have updates on this whole issue of US IMG's - especially those attending a Caribbean school - and the increasing difficulty it is thought by many they will have in securing residency?

I know it is notoriously difficult to project 2, 3, 4, or more years into the future, especially with economics, govt. policy and so on, and in addition, it appears there are 23 new MD or DO schools slated to open between 2012 and 2014.

However, if one did exceptionally well on Step 1, Step 2, and rotations (recommendations, shelf exams, etc), wouldn't they still be competitive? Won't there always be an interest in having the best people regardless of where their undergrad medical education was? And yes, I realize that Step scores are but one measure of potential.

I'm trying to get a handle on the current (mid-Oct. 2012) facts and thoughts, and welcome replies. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.