residency difficulty??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would like to hear what current med students think the most competitive residencies and least competitive residencies are to get. especially, where would you say the following fall: cardiothoracic surg, ortho, ERmed, family practice, cardiology, others... thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Cardiology is a fellowship after IM.

CT surgery is after surgery residency.

Most: derm, ENT, urology.

Least: anesthesiology, psychiatry, neuro.

Everything else is in between, ortho falls in the more competitive category, EM is closer to the middle, FP leans toward the least competitive.

Of those you listed:

More Competitive: Ortho
Mid Competitive: EM
Less Competitive: FP

Fellowship wise, I believe CT Surgery is much more difficult to get than Cardiology, however.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone seen the match results posted on the AOA-net web site? The match for AOA orthopedic surgery was listed and the odds were pretty good.
55 positions available
81 applicants participated in the match
51 Matched
30 did not match
They say that 3 positions are still available

I am not sure why the numbers don't add up, so got to the site and look for yourself. http://www.aoa-net.org/

I think most students place too much emphasis on the "top" residency. Just because one is highly competitive, does not mean that the most competitive field is his/her best fit.
Yes, Ortho would be great for someone who really loves Ortho. For the person who wants to make a lot of money, please go into ortho for me. Then I don't have to worry about your greed in any other field, and you'll be in the hospital working all the time, so I won't have to interact with you socially.

According to a classmate of mine who is interested in ortho and who has talked extensively to ortho. program directors, those three spots were not filled in the match for "various reasons" but were filled almost immediately after the match, i.e. those people were probably signed outside of the match more than likely. However, the previous post is correct that statisticaly speaking you are better off trying to match at DO ortho program than at ACGME (MD) programs. I would also agree that FM is probably one of the easier residencies to land a position.

I am a first year med student, and I am actually curious about the percentage of students who do NOT get a residency? I do not hear much about this at all, and I almost assume that everyone gets a match whether it is the first or last choice. I am one that really wants to enter Peds or Family medicine, and although they are not suppose to be 'competitive' does this mean that im 'golden' to get into my residency choice?

According to ISERSON's GETTING INTO A RESIDENCY, Galen Press, 2000... ENT, EM, and Orthopedics all receive the "most difficult" grade for admission into the residency spots. Yet, it is very difficult to compare all three of these positions because each director is looking for a different thing from a candidate...read the book. Hell, over 500 people applied for Cook county hospital residency spots, and that is par for the course for all the chicago allopathic spots. The sheer numbers make EM a difficult spot.

[This message has been edited by ewagner (edited 12-12-2000).]