1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Residency Dilemma.. Opinion's Needed

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by marchiafava, Apr 12, 2004.

1. marchiafava

marchiafava Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello all,

I am going to be a 4th year osteopathic student in a few weeks and am looking to apply for a position in neurology. I had been planning to apply for a competitive allopathic residency but have recently rotated at an osteo neuro program which just began last year. I enjoyed the hospital and the attendings and could see myself working there. At the end of the rotation the program offered me a position in their program should I apply there. My dilemma is that I really had my heart set on a competitive allo program for the following reasons: established program, big name prestige, and fellowship opportunities, but liked this no name osteo program. My stats are comlex 98%, usmle 237/96, class rank top 5, preclinical gpa 3.9 and clinical gpa 4.0 thus far. I have LOC's from the program director at this osteo neuro program as well as from another neuro attending saying that they have offered me a position in there program. I have undergrad neurobiology research and I am currently seeking clinical research. I was hoping you all could give some advice as to whether I should take this position in the osteo program or try for a competitive allo program, ie. penn, mayo, cleveland clinic, u of rochester. Please also give your opinions on how competitive I would be for these type of allo programs. I was planning on taking usmle step 2 and rotating at mayo or cleveland clinic or penn.

Also, I was wondering if there is a way to apply to both osteo neuro and the aoa intern match as well as the allo neuro and ERAS for internship and wait to see if I match at an allo program before I accept the osteo residency(the one that offered me a position doesn't go through the match yet but requires an internship year through the aoa intern match. I know this seems picky, but you never know what possibilities exist.

Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mirror Form

Mirror Form Thyroid Storm
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It might be a good idea to attend an allo residency (especially a competitive one) so that you don't have to worry about any discrimination based on your DO degree from MD's. I'm not sure how the top allo neuro programs view DO applicants, but your stats look good.

4. Seaglass

Seaglass Quantum Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You should know that just about everyone likes the first place they rotate at in their specialty. The nice part about the match system is that you get to see a lot of other places before you can make a decision.

Don't take the spot until you have seen a lot of other places.

C

5. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'd go with the more established program and get to see a wider variety of pathology. If you're still interested in academic medicine, then you could always return to a smaller osteopathic program as an attending and help raise the bar.

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Unless you have a contract in your hand, I would accept "promises" of a position as no more than pie in the sky.

If the allo match is before the osteo one, I believe lots of people apply to both and drop out of the latter if they match in the former. IMHO, you'd be competitive at most places with the scores you listed (not that everything is based on scores).

7. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Don't jump at this initial offer. Rotate at some large large allo places and then compare the experiences. With your scores you will have no problem matching allo or osteo. Snag another neuro letter from your allo rotation.

8. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

Is there an AOA intern match separate form the AOA residency match? I know the AOA res. match is before the allo one, and if you match in the AOA match you're automatically dropped from the NRMP.

9. BassDominator

BassDominator Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

With all the bias against DOs, I think it's best to do an allo residency.... JMHO

10. (nicedream)

(nicedream) Fitter Happier
    7+ Year Member

Unless you're going into academic medicine, does it really matter where you do your residency as far as prestige? How often do patients ask where doctors did their residency? It seems to me that what matters is to attend the program that you think would give you the best experience. I'm interested in hearing if people really think that doing a DO residency puts one at a disadvantage.

11. Masonator

Masonator Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I think the question of MD vs DO, which residency is better should be moved to the playa hata ball thread were it can truly be argued to it's fullest hatin' potential.

12. Seaglass

Seaglass Quantum Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As long as you don't want to do an allo fellowship it probably doesn't matter. Patients don't ask.

C