Residency Director Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHaveLab

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that there are lists made from the averaged responses collected on surveys of residency directors, in which the res. directors rank the esteem in which they hold different med schools.

I think the question is along the lines of, "if you knew nothing about an applicant beside the med school he/she attended, from which school would you prefer to pick your residents?"

To me, this seems like a better way than matchlists to try to figure out what kind of sway our future schools might have in the residency process.

However, I haven't been able to find such a list (I googled it). Has anyone else heard of such a list? Do you know where to find it?

Members don't see this ad.

IHaveLab said:
I've heard that there are lists made from the averaged responses collected on surveys of residency directors, in which the res. directors rank the esteem in which they hold different med schools.

I think the question is along the lines of, "if you knew nothing about an applicant beside the med school he/she attended, from which school would you prefer to pick your residents?"

To me, this seems like a better way than matchlists to try to figure out what kind of sway our future schools might have in the residency process.

However, I haven't been able to find such a list (I googled it). Has anyone else heard of such a list? Do you know where to find it?

You can find these rankings on the US News and World Report rankings. While I agree that that these are "good" rankings to consider, the ranking on the US News site are froms surveys returned by only a small % of residency directors. I don't know if there are other sites out there with a more complete number of reponses.

IHaveLab said:

The problem is that residencies are specialty specific, and so if you want to go into eg. derm, ortho, rads, etc. it makes little difference if a dozen residency directors in other fields are impressed by the students from your school. One school may crank out awesome primary care docs but not be so well regarded in terms of its surgeons and so on. So I guess it is better than nothing, but suffers from the same kind of flaws that looking at match lists does. Best to pick a med school on other factors besides residency placement as you lack the relevant info at this juncture (let alone necesarily even know what you want to do down the road).

Less than 30% of residency directors polled actually submit their assessments, so it's not a complete set of data. And I have a feeling that a highly disproportionate number of those polled were internal medicine residency directors, so whichever programs have great IM will generally be scored higher. But it doesn't hold for other specialties like derm where lesser-known programs like NYU, UTSW, Jefferson, Emory would be near the top.