residency director wanted a business card??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linkDO

is in v-fib
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So about a month ago I was at a conference and a residency director asked me if I had a business card for him. I explained that I didnt and then he went on a short speech about how having one is always a good idea for M3/M4 students. He cited that it shows organization and easy access for them to get a hold of you. As if we should go up to the residency director on the first day of an elective and say, "Here's my card with my number and email so if you ever need to get ahold of me you can reach me. I'm willing to come in whenever so please feel free to call me if you see an interesting case or something I could learn from."

I did a search on SDN for this and its a little undecided. Seems like most people make fun of the idea which is what my first reaction was. But some say that if you keep a couple on you it cant hurt. I also found that several schools will print out a few hundred of them for you for free so it must be something that some schools encourage.

Has anyone else been asked for one or have them? Or have opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I suspect some people on here will say it gives off the wrong impression, but I think it will only enhance the opinion (good or bad) that people already have of you.

If someone wants your information, it would be a convenient way of giving it.

See if your school will print them out for you.

That is funny. I've never been asked for a business card by anyone but patients. Here's what I would have done:

I would have mentioned that business cards are often thrown away, but that I would be glad to call his phone right now so that my # is readily available in his cell phone.

This way you have his number as well if you want to get a hold of him.

I got to meetings, and so having business cards is a huge deal. All the docs who I impress want to be able to add me to their e-mail lists. Never had one call, but the # is on there too. I assume you'd run into this with less frequency on rotations, yet I still think for the odd occasion it does come up, its very much worth it.

You can even get some low quality ones (no one is expected professional here) done for a few bucks online. Vista print and other cheap places.