Residency + Fellowship in Australia? Indian Medical Student here.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

For an AMG. Is that an option, and if so, how does one go about doing it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stanley,

I don't think I can answer all your questions unfortunately. However, we have an overview of the postgraduate training options (specialties) available to Australian doctors, including their fees, on our website.

The Australian internal medicine qualification is known as the FRACP (fellow of the royal australasian college of physicians). The website of the college is www.racp.edu.au. Infectious diseases is one of the advanced training options within this training program. You would need to obtain general registration in Australia before embarking upon the training program. Our international section, and the website www.doctorconnect.gov.au, may be of help to you with regard to this process,

JT

Greetings all!

I am an undergrad from India (well finishing this year). I would like to know the postgrad options in Australia. Are the residency options (Internal Medicine) similar to the residency programs in the US?

If you mean options, as in fields of study offered, yes. Pretty much anything you want.

What is the method of entrance?

Check out the links given in the post above as well as doing a search in this forum will give you more information about coming to Oz for residency training.

Also, do the institutions pay you for residency or should the student pay the tuition fee?

You are no longer a student. You are paid.

If I do get in in an University, I will get a M.D. Internal Medicine degree at the end of 3 years of residency right?

In general, no. The MD requires a certain number of years in practice (I want to say 5) and some research component.

Also, would it be a better option to complete my PG (MD Int. Med.) here and apply for a fellowship in Infectious Medicine in an Australian University or finish my residency in Australia itself and then apply for a fellowship? Which would be easier?

Either or. Its probably somewhat easier to get a fellowship due to fewer people trying to get them.

And, what degree would I be given at the completion of Infectious Medicine fellowship?

Degrees are not awarded after the completion of the terminal medical degree with the exception of the MD. Residency and fellowship programs do not award degrees.

P.S.: How much does a Inf. Med. fellowship cost per year for the student on an average? In tuition fee alone.

As noted above, you are paid as a resident or fellow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that guys. Have fixed the links now,

JT

hi i just wanna ask how can i get residency program in australia?

i mean should i have especial exams , just interview , based on my college degrees ,or based on my college itself ?

so please i need to know the criteria to be a resident in australia

thank u

A genuine love for BBQ and beer, that's the main criteria.:thumbup:

i jstcompleted my bds from india i wud like to know which country is best for me to migrate australia or canada....
i know abt ADC ,,how abt canadian registration

Hi all,
I'm a medical graduate from a third country. I was wondering if it's possible for me to pursue medical residency in Australia. Radiology seems very interesting. :)

Hi,
I'm general physician in Iran.How can I study neurology or neurosurgery in australia?
thanks.