Residency/Fellowship outlook with expunged misdemeanor charges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whoopsie

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Im a med student at a T20 school who’s currently interested in internal medicine and PM&R. Ultimately, I would like to go into cardiology or pain management, both of which are competitive fellowships. I was also charged with an MIP for alcohol and possessing a fake ID when I was a freshman in college. These two instances happened on separate occasions, and they were a reflection of me being an idiot at the time. I’m proud of my response to these events, as I’ve been able to use the experience to become a better person and have had a completely clean record since. I was placed on deferred disposition for both charges, they were eventually dismissed, and ultimately expunged.

All that said, they still happened and my current med school is aware of them. They’ve been pretty supportive and said that this should not be a barrier to me matching into any specialties which has been nice, but I still feel a lot of anxiety about the future. I’m planning on disclosing all of this on ERAS for peace of mind, but I would still appreciate some input on what to expect come application time. If any PD’s or residents/fellows with similar red flags could offer input on what I should expect in regards to residency/fellowship outlook, it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to know if I have a chance to match into these fields, if many programs will throw my application out, and what I can do to help my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Your school is correct, nobody is going to care or ask you about these events from when you were a dumb freshman in college. If they were going to be a significant barrier to your residency application (especially in fields which are relatively non-competitive) then you never would have been accepted at a prestigious medical school in the first place. You do not need to do anything to help your application, and should focus on your studies.

If you are continuing to have anxiety despite these reassurances, then I would consider whether you could benefit from speaking with a mental health professional.

Reactions: 1 user