residency for DO in MI w/o AOA internship?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by Chris_Topher, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher Señor Member

I am a DO student in Michigan, and was wondering about training in an ACGME program here. I know that in order to practice in Michigan, DOs must have completed an osteopathic internship. But is the same true for a training license? Or can a DO get a training license in MI without having completed the AOA internship and then move to another state (not one of the 5) to practice medicine. I understand that under this scenario one would not be able to moonlight.

I have received conflicting answers to this question, and would appreciate any info.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member

Good question. As far as I know is that you CAN train at an ACGME accredited program, sit for their boards, become allopathically ceritfied, but cannot practice in MI until you either completed an AOA internship or lobby the osteopathic board and convince them to accept your first year as equivalent to the internship.
    Then, and only then, you will be able to practice in your state, as you mentioned.

To be able to moonlight, I think you would need your DO license, and in MI, you would need to have successfully completed that internship or have equilvalent.

4. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member

When I was applying for MD OB-GYN residencies in michigan this year the director at Wayne State emailed me to tell me that he didn't think it was possible for me to do an allopathic residency without first having completed the DO internship. I also got a rejection from William Beaumont hospital but they didn't tell me the reason why I was rejected was for not doing an internship. So I too, do not know the answer to your question. I don't even know who you can ask because I emailed the AOA and they haven't even responded to me and that was way back in November. I would probably call the individual programs and ask them what their policy is because when I was setting up a rotation at Oakwood hospital the OB-GYN director told me that they do take DO's in their residency without having to do the internship. So maybe it is up to the individual programs as to whether they will or will not. Good luck.

5. ATS

ATS New Member

Yes , you can do an ACGME residency in one of the five states without doing an AOA internship. I will be doing Urology at WVU. I will basically be practicing under the hospital's license throughout residency. Once I graduate though, I won't be allowed to practice in WV, PA, MI, FL or OK. Also, I won't be allowed to moonlight during residency because of the licensing issue.

6. Chris_Topher

Chris_Topher Señor Member

Here is an email response I received from the AOA today:

"To the best of my knowledge, the Michigan licensing board WILL NOT issue even a training license if you are a DO and attempt to go into an allopathic PGY-1 training year. One of the first questions that is asked of a DO, do you have an AOA-approved internship -- I have not heard of any DO graduate being issued a training license in the State of Michigan to enter an allopathic PGY-I training year. Other states that require an AOA-approved internship for a license to practice will allow for a temporary training
    license (without the ability to moonlight) -- but Michigan is not one of them."

So, ATS, it seems that it may be possible in WV, but that may not apply to MI (unfortunately). Thanks doughboy, for the MI experience - even if it were possible, it seems to be frowned upon.

Thanks for the replies - any further thoughts?

7. pags

pags Senior Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Chris_Topher:
    <strong>Here is an email response I received from the AOA today:

"To the best of my knowledge, the Michigan licensing board WILL NOT issue even a training license if you are a DO and attempt to go into an allopathic PGY-1 training year. One of the first questions that is asked of a DO, do you have an AOA-approved internship -- I have not heard of any DO graduate being issued a training license in the State of Michigan to enter an allopathic PGY-I training year. Other states that require an AOA-approved internship for a license to practice will allow for a temporary training
    license (without the ability to moonlight) -- but Michigan is not one of them."
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is one disgusting policy the AOA and the State of Michigan has conjured up. No wonder why there is so much disdain for the AOA from osteopathic students. Believe me, there is nothing special about an AOA internship.

8. rtk

rtk Member

Another reason programs (in one of those 5 states) may discourage DO's from training in ACGME programs w/o AOA internship is funding. Although the majority of residency funding comes from federal dollars, states also contribute to residents' salaries in the form of disproportionate share dollars, research funding, state medical school funding and a portion of health care entitlements in each state come from state coffers...

So, these states have a vested interest in keeping the doctors that they train w/in the state. Although the ultimate decision may be program dependant, there may be legislation that dictates who the programs can take.

Does it seem remarkable to anyone else that the AOA has perpetuated this policy of AOA internships...? What the AOA is effectively doing is dividing the ranks of DO's at the beginning of their training (approximately half being allegent to the AOA and half to the AMA). If the AOA wants to increase national awareness of osteopathic medicine and profess true "Unity" w/in the profession, they ought to cancel the policy that divides us in the first place...

An interesting point: Although I have remained a member of the AOA since starting medical school, I didn't renew my membership this year. The reason is this: I recently finished residency (ACGME) and passed boards. Although I am board certified through the AMA, I'm listed as not board certified on the AOA web-site because I wasn't eligible for and didn't take the AOA version of my specialty boards (I'm not eligible to sit for the AOA boards because I didn't do an extra year of training i.e.: AOA internship). Even if I was eligible to take the AOA boards, I wouldn't have taken them: 2 more days of misery and another $1000.00.

9. doughboy

doughboy Senior Member

I with you on that one pags...screw the AOA. They've never done anything helpful for me and I guess they never will. The AOA internship year is a joke...cheap labor is all you are. Sure, you'll get more experience but I think you'll get just as much when you start your practice one year earlier. Instead of an internship year, why don't they make our fourth year of med school more productive with more responsibility...everyone knows interns are just glorified med students...if that.

10. Freeeedom!

Freeeedom! Senior Member

One more example how the AOA does NOT protect the rights or fight for the rights of Osteopathic Physicians...but rather Osteopathic Hospitals and Administrations! Two totally different entities!!