Residency for FP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDickerson

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long is it exactly? I've heard one year, but you know how it goes when you believe things you hear. Can any of you tell me for sure?

Members don't see this ad.

RDickerson said:
How long is it exactly? I've heard one year, but you know how it goes when you believe things you hear. Can any of you tell me for sure?

1 year internship followed by 2 resident years. Total of 3 years.

yup..3 years of residency

Members don't see this ad :)
UptownDoc said:
yup..3 years of residency

So Anesthesiology is only one year more than that? That's pretty crazy when you look at pay roll figures.

I guess people will pay alot to have regular hours and not come in on weekends :cool:

RDickerson said:
So Anesthesiology is only one year more than that? That's pretty crazy when you look at pay roll figures.

I guess people will pay alot to have regular hours and not come in on weekends :cool:

That, and its slightly more difficult to land an anesthesiology or derm residency than FP.

RDickerson said:

There's definitely no direst correlation between length of residency and salary. Though more specialized people tend to get paid more and tend to go through longer training (esp. w/ fellowships).

RDickerson said:

Emergency Medicine can be done in three years at many programs. Many people do Internal Medicine and then go on to do fellowships in infectious diseases, endocrinology, and the like that have little effect on their earnings powers. Other IM people will do the same length of fellowhsip in areas like cardiology or gastroenterology and double their salary in the process. In general, the longer residencies pay more and are associated with more prestige, but there is definitely a lot of variation.