Residency from abroad, fellowship from USA: Thoughts and views?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sanad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys i have a question. I got my results today and Im officially a doctor! My goal is to be a neurosurgeon. I understand that for an IMG, getting into a neurosurgical program is very very tough. I just turned 23 and was evaluating my options. I was checking this program out and i wanted your opinion if it sounded good or bad. The program director trained and taught at Henry Ford hospital before coming back to pakistan and setting this program at Aga Khan University:

http://www.aku.edu/PGME/residency-neurosurgery.shtml

I was thinking, is it better for me to complete my residency here and then apply for a fellowship in the US? Or should I just go for getting as many research papers under my belt to bolster my CV, get 99s in steps and try getting LORs from there and then wait? Oh and as Im done with med school, how do i get LOR's from US neurosurgery programs as im not eligible for electives anymore? Do observerships count?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you want to practice in the U.S.?

If you want to practice in the states you'll have to complete your residency in the states. No way around that one. You can do a fellowship here but that won't allow you to practice in the states once the fellowship is done.