Residency Guideline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boop2002

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have successfully gotten into a residency, what advice can you give to a P1 who has serious consideration to becoming a resident. Those of you who didnt get into a residency, What could have you done that would have made you better applicant. I know the basics..good grades..involvement...research...ect.. I am talking about intangibles. What kind of things set you apart? With limited residency spots and more people looking for alternative opportunities, what can I do as a first year to make sure that I get in..

Residency Directors are also welcome to weigh in on this topic. Because we all know that you guys troll these sites as well!!

Thanks for your input everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a P4 and I would say the biggest things I wish I had done during pharmacy school were:

1. hospital tech experience
2. more leadership roles in pharm organizations/clubs

The good grades and research experience are kinda obvious and I feel like most residency/fellowship applicants have that.

For those who have successfully gotten into a residency, what advice can you give to a P1 who has serious consideration to becoming a resident. Those of you who didnt get into a residency, What could have you done that would have made you better applicant. I know the basics..good grades..involvement...research...ect.. I am talking about intangibles. What kind of things set you apart? With limited residency spots and more people looking for alternative opportunities, what can I do as a first year to make sure that I get in..

Residency Directors are also welcome to weigh in on this topic. Because we all know that you guys troll these sites as well!!

Thanks for your input everyone

Tip #1: Don't call the person you want as you potential future boss a troll.

Tip #2: Do what you are passionate about. Don't do things just to fill your CV. When you meet an interviewer face-to-face, ideally they will be able to read through CV-filler BS and see that the single theme reoccurring in your CV is one facet that makes up your persona.

Tip#3: There's near-nothing legal you can do to ensure you get in. Relax, enjoy your four years, and learn, apply and teach.

Members don't see this ad :)
How soon off the bat should we get involved in research? Should we do research pertinent to our residency interests or anything we can get our hands on?

I read from a person who successfully entered a competitive residency that the most important things are A) GPA B) Internship Hours in Hospital C) Research and D) Leadership roles, if any. How accurate is this assessment?

Also what if I don't want to work as an intern/can't? Can I use my rotations to list as experience?

How soon off the bat should we get involved in research? Should we do research pertinent to our residency interests or anything we can get our hands on?

I read from a person who successfully entered a competitive residency that the most important things are A) GPA B) Internship Hours in Hospital C) Research and D) Leadership roles, if any. How accurate is this assessment?

Also what if I don't want to work as an intern/can't? Can I use my rotations to list as experience?

In order of importance: 1) Leadership 2) Intern Hours 3) GPA 4) Research

I will say that our cut-off was a GPA of 3.0 so anything above that isn't really weighed any more heavily. Leadership and hospital experience were definately more important than a GPA of 4.0. I can tell you that not all pharmacists with a 4.0 GPA can make it through a residency program. It's more important to show that you can balance work, school, student activities, and leadership positions because ultimately that's what you'll be doing as a resident and clinician.

In order of importance: 1) Leadership 2) Intern Hours 3) GPA 4) Research

I will say that our cut-off was a GPA of 3.0 so anything above that isn't really weighed any more heavily. Leadership and hospital experience were definately more important than a GPA of 4.0. I can tell you that not all pharmacists with a 4.0 GPA can make it through a residency program. It's more important to show that you can balance work, school, student activities, and leadership positions because ultimately that's what you'll be doing as a resident and clinician.

I agree with this. A good GPA is important, but it needs to be balanced with leadership, community service, work, etc. That sort of balance is evidence that someone can handle residency.