Residency in Australia after MD from US School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amr786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

For someone who has received an MD degree from a US medical school, is it possible to do the internship/residency in Australia? If so, what is the procedure, protocol, etc.? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Internship is definitely possible as this stage, though as an international you will theoretically be competing for spots with South Asian, African and European graduates. If you send in your CV individually to various hospitals around the country, as well as apply through the official channels for internship you should be able to get a job somewhere.

Does he need to pass the AMC in order to start the internship or do some sort of special registration?

Members don't see this ad :)
Varies from state to state, and the rules may have changed. However last year you didn't need to pass the AMC in order to do internship, but they may require a pass in part 1.

I'm not quite familiar with the Australian system, but from my previous reading I believe OTD's need to do some sort of temporary registration in which they work for a certain period of time under supervision. My info isn't much accurate so It'd be great if anyone can shed some light on this issue.

Hello

For someone who has received an MD degree from a US medical school, is it possible to do the internship/residency in Australia? If so, what is the procedure, protocol, etc.? Thanks!

You will need to check the medical boards of all the states you'd be interested in. Last I checked, some states will not allow non-AU grads to do internship. An example is NSW; however, they have a year of supervised training that is available to IMG's which is equivalent to an internship for registration purposes. For those states that do allow the internship for IMG's, IMG's will be at the end of the allocation priorities. Generally (if not universally) you will need to complete the AMC exams before being considered. The medical boards websites usually say something to the effect that if there are spots remaining after all other allocation priorities have been placed, qualified AMC graduates will be considered.

I'm not quite familiar with the Australian system, but from my previous reading I believe OTD's need to do some sort of temporary registration in which they work for a certain period of time under supervision. My info isn't much accurate so It'd be great if anyone can shed some light on this issue.

yeah, it will be conditional registration, similar to that of an intern. after internship or an equivalent supervised period (generally 21 months) you get unrestricted registration.