greens

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Ok so I know this topic has been talked about a billion times but I still have a couple of questions I'm wondering if someone can help me out with. So here goes...I'm currently a 5th year med student at Auckland Uni in New Zealand (PR resident but not citizen). My plan currently is to do my PGY1 year in New Zealand so I can get registered with the New Zealand Medical Council, but then I was thinking about maybe going to Australia for PGY2 and specialty training. Does anyone know if in 2011 PGY2 jobs would be hard to come by and is it even possible for me to go there since I'm not a citizen of New Zealand, but would have an Australasian registration? Any info would be great.

OP
G

greens

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just trying to bring this thread up again and see if anyone knows an answer?? Especially about whether holding a New Zealand registration and not being an Australian PR or OZ med graduate makes it impossible to obtain a PGY2 position. I'm really trying to start looking at my options for the next few years of my life and I'm currently trying to decide if I want to live in NZ, OZ, America or Ireland for my training.

Ezekiel20

Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2005
Sydney, NSW Australia
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you were thinking of moving to NSW, you should look at the current trends in the medical workforce in NSW.

The number of medical graduates from NSW (+ ACT) universities was fairly consistently during the 1998-2005 period, at about 400.

However due to increased student intake as well as a new medical school (ANU) opening up a few years ago, the number jumped to above 600 in 2008.

Since then 3 more medical schools have opened up (UWS, UoW, UND), such that the the number is projected to rise to 900 in 2012, and 1100 in 2014.

This is commonly referred to as the 'medical student tsunami' (although strictly speaking it is the 'local medical graduate tsunami', as it is the graduate numbers not the intake that really matters in the end).

My understanding is that there are similar phenomena around Australia (I remember an Aust. Medical Student Association newsletter article on this last year), not just in NSW.

So it will become progressively harder to get JMO (defintion of JMO includes residency as well as internship) spots in NSW unless you're a local graduate.

By 2012 or so, it is thought that there may not be enough internship spots for local graduates who are not permanent residents or citizens.

Hope this helps.