Residency in big cities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Don

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering...Is it harder to get into oral surgery, or any residency program for that matter, in larger cities? I have been speaking with some people and they have made it seem like programs in New York lets say, are very competitive while programs in other areas (I don't have any specific area in mind) that might be in less demand from the applicants might be less competitive.
Just wanted any input as to whether or not this has any validity
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most if not all OMFS residencies tend to be in urban areas due to the larger patient pool. People just don't seem to get beaten up, crash their cars, or shot in the face enough out in the countryside.

I don't think it's necessarily true that big city programs are more competitive. There are plenty of good programs in smaller cities. They may be weaker in certain areas (trauma), but strong in others. It all depends on what you are looking for in a residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering...Is it harder to get into oral surgery, or any residency program for that matter, in larger cities? I have been speaking with some people and they have made it seem like programs in New York lets say, are very competitive while programs in other areas (I don't have any specific area in mind) that might be in less demand from the applicants might be less competitive.
Just wanted any input as to whether or not this has any validity
Thanks!

Some of the best programs are in smaller cities... The size of the city itself doesnt necessarily mean anything... What you need to know is the catchment area/population... Smaller centers in the middle of nowhere which have the only service for miles around will actually get more work, and have the potential to be more broad scope, will have opportunities to be involved in cleft work, cosmetics, etc, because there is no one else to compete with.

By contrast, in places like NYC, there are many treatment centers/programs competing for essentially the same work. There are alot of NYC programs that are completely lacking in certain scope of practice areas.

For example, UAB has an excellent, well-rounded program. By contrast I couldn't tell you much about most of the NYC programs... They are not as well known.

I'm not sure why a NYC program would be more competitive simply based on location....if anything, I would guess it would be less competitive because you have to live in NYC.

I externed at a very good program in a very small city.

The thing that made it a special program were the:

1) Attendings - their training brought interested cases into the program

2) Coverage - the hospital was the only Level I trauma center for the surrounding 42 counties

3) Dynamics between the OMFS department and the PLS and ENT department

Look more at who is running the program and the program's access to cases rather than the sheer volume of cases.

Inner city hospitals are more hands on, and have quite a bit more excitement to them.
NY is an amazzzing area, there are so many programs there. If you are concerned about getting into OMS then chose a GP program associated with one of the OMS programs. THis why the director and OMS attendings can get to know you and work with you to get you to the next step.

By contrast, in places like NYC, there are many treatment centers/programs competing for essentially the same work. There are alot of NYC programs that are completely lacking in certain scope of practice areas.

For example, UAB has an excellent, well-rounded program. By contrast I couldn't tell you much about most of the NYC programs... They are not as well known.

Have lived in this area long enough, NYC has much to offer, in all dynamics. The salary there is competative but, each borough has plenty to offer, there are over 22 million people that work there, the Isle of Manhattan is only 22 mi long..do the math. Many of these programs meet regularly to discuss the more interesting cases NICOP.

NYC OMFS are not very broadscope. Too many hospitals. Some are stronger in some aspects as others. Depends on what you are looking for; trauma, orthosurg, teeth, etc.

No difference in getting in, but different learning scenerios, rural areas may have more MVA, urban may have more domestic violence...either way it is all good.