residency in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camarshall

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I know I would like to be back in California for residency, does it really make a huge difference whether or not I go to med school in CA? I am technically a CA resident, but have been living with my husband in NYC for the past several months. I am trying to decide between UC Davis and Einstein. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I have no direct experience with this, but from what I hear it would be helpful to do your Schooling in CA. CA is VERY desirable fro residency with too few programs to go around so to get them you need to be a great student AND show a committment to CA.

C

Far and away, yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by cg1155
I have no direct experience with this, but from what I hear it would be helpful to do your Schooling in CA. CA is VERY desirable fro residency with too few programs to go around so to get them you need to be a great student AND show a committment to CA.

C

Why IS it that Cali is one of the most desirable places to attain residency?

Originally posted by gsx56
Why IS it that Cali is one of the most desirable places to attain residency?

It's considered a popular place to live among people who go into medicine (generally upperclass, sometimes more liberal then the avg population, othertimes more conservative), thereby causing an oversupply of physicians there. They also have a higher percentage of their own state's population interested in pursuing medicine, thereby creating fierce competetition for their medical schools, and many graduates choose to stay in the area thereby creating more competetition for any out-of-staters who want to do their residency there. It's a nice place to live, it has nice year-long weather.

oops

apperently those links all led to LA. Sorry. You get the point.

120 out of 160 of my USC classmates matched to a California program. Anyone who denies that it is easier to get into a California residency from a California school is in a bit of denial... Obviously going to a top 10 med school will open doors, but for most, the best chance of getting a residency in CA is to go to school there.

What if every single CA school rejects you? I've lived in So. Cal since 1981 and am being uprooted to pursue this career. As far as I know, my loyalty is to California and I want to serve the people here. Oh well, I'm all about beating the odds!

Originally posted by RedBlanket
120 out of 160 of my USC classmates matched to a California program. Anyone who denies that it is easier to get into a California residency from a California school is in a bit of denial... Obviously going to a top 10 med school will open doors, but for most, the best chance of getting a residency in CA is to go to school there.

I'm sure Redblanket knows the answer to this, but if you look at our match list you would be shocked by how many people are staying at USC. That means that only about 60% of our residency spots are open for competition from all other schools, even other Cali schools. Go to UCD if you want the same home school advantage.

Originally posted by RedBlanket

but what percent of your class is californian to begin with?

of course if you compare a UC matchlist to lets say NU's matchlist, you are going to have a ton more californian matches because most of your students are californian and will try to match into cali to begin with, whereas our classes have alot of people from many different places who won't even try to match into cali. so i think the 120/160 could be a misleading figure if the majority of those 120 kids were californians to begin with. I agree that a lot of your kids match into the school's own programs, thats how it is at most schools so I'd say that there is a definite cali advantage in that. I'd imagine that there is some advantage is going to a cali school because of the connections and rotations you are able to do as 3rd and 4th years. i guess i agree that it is easier but i just wonder how much of an advantage it can give.

does anyone know what percentage of cali residents(who go to med skool out of state) end up getting snubbed for a cali residency?

Originally posted by UCLAMAN
but what percent of your class is californian to begin with?

of course if you compare a UC matchlist to lets say NU's matchlist, you are going to have a ton more californian matches because most of your students are californian and will try to match into cali to begin with, whereas our classes have alot of people from many different places who won't even try to match into cali. so i think the 120/160 could be a misleading figure if the majority of those 120 kids were californians to begin with. I agree that a lot of your kids match into the school's own programs, thats how it is at most schools so I'd say that there is a definite cali advantage in that. I'd imagine that there is some advantage is going to a cali school because of the connections and rotations you are able to do as 3rd and 4th years. i guess i agree that it is easier but i just wonder how much of an advantage it can give.

does anyone know what percentage of cali residents(who go to med skool out of state) end up getting snubbed for a cali residency?

i probably will.

at vanderbilt, about 75% of californians ended up doing cali residency. (rough estimate). i don't think it's about where u go to med school....it's more about the student's desire to come/return to cali. i remember a few from the list that didn't return to cali either had a competitive specialty or matched to a top 5 program.

Originally posted by UCLAMAN

Each year, there are 1800 medical students who come from california. 800 of them go to medical school in Cali, 1000 go out of state. I know we average 30-35% of all of our students going to USC for residency.

Derm at our school, which I have some knowledge, always takes 1-2 USC students per the 3 spots. This past year we had 60 Valedictorians (I heard this second hand, and I'm not sure I believe it) intvited for interview. Obviously you have a lot better shot of getting the spot if you go to USC. Fact is that you really have to go to a good school and do really well at it in order to get a competative residency at my school.