1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Residency in California

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by khan786, May 3, 2004.

1. khan786

khan786 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Is there a prefrence for California residents to get a residency in California?

I am not going to a California school, had to accept medical school out of state, now I am wondering how difficult it would be to get residency back in California?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Quimby2

Quimby2 Member
    7+ Year Member

Just did the same thing myself. And I am heading home....WoooHoooo!!!! I feel like I've been in excile for the last four years.

There should be no REAL problem as the residency slots are not funded with California tax dollars (like it was for college). There may be some bias toward accepting applicants from med schools they are familiar with. In general though, It is a competitive state to get a residency in though so, depending on your specialty, make sure that you are a competitive applicant.

Take a look at the web sites for some of the programs you might be interested in and see what schools they are coming from. Keep in mind it will seem slanted toward California Grads; however, they probably also recieve a majority of local applicants to begin with.

4. BigBopper

BigBopper Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If you are doing a noncompetitive specialty, than you should have no problem matching in Cali. I know applicants from middle to lower tier schools with average boards and grades have no problem matching into IM/PEDS/FM in cali.

If you are planning on doing ophth/derm/rads/ortho or the like you better kick arse on your grades and boards.