Residency in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camrichie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just entering my 3rd year and I am also from Canada. I've recently started to consider the possibility of going home for residency. I've been searching for information but there has been one question I've been unable to answer.
I've been trying to find out whether or not I would have to take the MCCEE exam or will the completion of USMLE exams be sufficient? If you have a source for your information that would be really grateful :) but any info will be very helpful. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to post this in the Canada/International thread for better info, but here's the gist of what I know:

Yes you can apply for residency training in Canada coming from an LCME (MD) school in the US. As an LCME-trained Canadian citizen, you will be ranked in the first iteration of the Canadian match (no disadvantage).

You can in fact apply for both matches as a fourth year (NRMP and CaRMS) but when you match in whichever one happens first (I believe, CaRMS) you have to withdraw/are automatically withdrawn (?) from the other one. Basically, you only match once, as makes sense.

I may be wrong on this, but I remember hearing that at least in some provinces and maybe Canada-wide, you can apply as a US MD candidate without sitting for the MCCEE if you have the USMLEs (up to and including Step IIs?) and match that way, but you are still on the hook to pass MCCEEs during residency in Canada. Definitely check up on this with those who know more.

Good luck!

Last edited: