Residency in Denamrk or Sweden

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, learning something online is not necessarily a shortcut, but an alternative way to learn. I'm currently living in the middle of Texas where there are no Goethe Institutes or intensive German classes that I can take. So as an alternative I am learning German by listening to online german radio and reading articles from the Sueddeutschezeitung. I'm learning all the time. I have already passed Goethe's B1 Zertifikat Deutsch Exam. Good for you if you learned German in the classroom all throughout, but that option is not always available or financially feasible for everyone.

Well, regarding taking online classes. It's a great way to start off learning a language. There are tons of programs that teach up to the B2 level of European Framework of Languages. And do check if you have a Berlitz schools nearby (they usually have them all over the world) and they have courses that go up to C2. They also have individual, custom-made courses according to the student's need (so you might want to take a medical-related course to get some exposure). Once you get a good feel for the language and take the exam, you can think of moving to Germany and taking more intensive language courses to prepare for the Test DaF (and may be even some medical courses). It's DOABLE. Just don't give up if that's what you really want to do (this is where cliches often stand true: where there's a will, there's a way ;))

I just met another American girl on the international forum who moved to Sweden with her husband and learnt the language there and is studying there right now. She says there are days when she meets professors she can't understand (due to their thick accent) but it still seems that she's coping up well (and turns out that most Swedes in the class couldn't understand the guy anyways).

If you intend of getting back to the US, I would really recommend that you try to get into the US and if that fails, then the Caribbean. That's the best route (and will not limit your chances of getting into a good residency program in the future).

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Stop bouncing between two extremes: you first in another thread claim the "world is out to get me", as if it doesn't exist, then now claim that same thing to try and bug me with it?

Then you think age means anything? Do you really think I didn't do anything productive in during my life, as in getting a degree, putting a career together, and in fact, having enough savings to last me years here. In your mind, I'm stuck in a bad place because of my age, as you can't fathom that I actually did ok, and even in fact, spending three years planning and working extra hours to get even more cash to move.

If I do get a ****ty spot here, it's not due to myself, it's due to Germany's archaic labor laws that exclude people due to age and even gender, a case that even Brussels has asked Germany to change and they are refusing. This is also in addition to Germany continuing to ask for restrictions to be placed on newer EU nations, against the laws of the EU, which requires the same laws be applied to the citizens of their own countries.

This is no skin off my back, and why Germany's medical situation is so bad that they are the ones losing from the rigidity of their system. Again, it doesn't bother me, as I'm an EU citizen, and can go anywhere.

As far as being in my thirties goes, there are a good number of mostly males in my class, already balding, older than me, or nearer to my age. It's actually not so odd here, including for career change.

However, good luck here. You will certainly need it. Try and hide being American, by the way. You're not disappointing me. You have to make it through the exam, then you have to make it through everyday life. IMO, the latter is way tougher than the former, especially at merely a B2 level, as there's a huge jump from B2 to C1 and C2 and being everyday proficient.

It's no tough love for me. I'm doing fantastic in my classes, the school is actually pretty good and supportive, and omg, the students even warmed up to me and are supportive, though the other foreigners are a bit out on that in their classes.

And hell, when I'm done, I'll still have money left over from my savings, and will be able to go nearly anywhere in the world, so I have some years to figure out if I'll go back to the US, Canada, or any one of various European countries- all with none to few restrictions on my immigration, owing to my dual citizenship and the fact that I learned to speak several languages fluently throughout my life.

Let me ask you: are you running away from the loans you took on because you went to school in the Caribbean? What is your debtload?

I didn't claim that the whole world was out to get you. You pretty much implied that from all your posts.

Those German classmates of yours sure made a 180 didn't they? Just a few weeks back you posted that all 300 of them were protesting because they were being forced to work with foreign students and now they've gone from being racist, xenophobic Germans (YOUR sentiments, not mine) who want nothing to do with foreigners to being supportive and all warmed up to you? Those Germans sure are fickle, aren't they? Looks like *you're* the one bouncing between two extremes.

I didn't say anything about you not doing anything productive in your life or that not getting a residency in Germany has anything to do with your abilities. Go back and read my post carefully...I said "because of your age...". You seem to be very bitter about how the labour market functions in Germany and maybe you should have looked into that and thought about that before you decided to apply to go to school there. The whole tough love, decisions being made differently.

I'm not trying to hide that I'm American. The reason for that is very simple. I'm not American. I'm Canadian. I'm staying here with family helping out with a new baby. I fly back to Canada every three months, because I can only stay in the U.S for three months at a time.

Making it through everyday life is tough?! Really? Who knew?

As for B2 level German-that level has been deemed acceptable not by me, but by the medical boards in Germany. If they think B2 is acceptable, then it is. They could have chosen B1 or A2 or C1, but they decided on B2. I didn't say anything about the jump from B2 to C1. There you are going off on a tangent once again. You continue to describe level B2 as "mere". The Goethe Institute and Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) thinks otherwise: http://www.goethe.de/lrn/prj/pba/bes/enindex.htm#B2.

Good luck to you as well with getting into the U.S 5-7 years from now, because you're going to need it. Medical school seats in the U.S are growing every single year. Existing M.D and D.O schools are increasing enrollments and additionally new M.D and D.O schools are being established. It's already very hard for IMGs to get into residency in the U.S. It's going to get much tougher in the years to come.

Unless you're a Canadian citizen/Permanent Resident, it is almost impossible to get into a residency program in Canada. Go to the website (www.carms.ca) and look at the requirements. All applicants must be Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents. There are no visas like J1 or H1B that you can apply for. So no, you can't just go to Canada and think you'll be welcomed with open arms. The situation in Canada for IMGs is extremely bad. I think over 90% of IMG applicants fail to match. Those who do match, match into FM or other primary care fields in maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Foundland etc) or in the Prairie provinces (Saskatchewan, Manitoba etc)

The last sentence of your post sure screams deep desperation on your part. Trying to divert attention from the topic at hand by bringing up my loans and the completely baseless accusation that I'm trying to run away from them. What does that have anything to do with what is being discussed here? But I'll respond anyways. Not running away from anything. If I was planning on running away I would have done it a long time ago (after my 2nd year of med school when I failed my USMLE) I wouldn't have taken the trouble (time, effort and money) of retaking my boards, passing all of them, getting ECFMG certified, going through two match cycles, spend hundreds on application fees and writing personal statements, getting Letters of Recommendation and making countless phone calls to programs hoping to get an interview. I'm only trying to find someplace that will offer me a residency (Germany, Denmark, Sweden...anywhere). Offer me a residency in the U.S (even in the boonies) and I will happily accept it. Yes, I do have a significant debt load and no, I'm not running away from it. But if it makes you feel any better about yourself, then you can think that. No skin off my back.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, regarding taking online classes. It's a great way to start off learning a language. There are tons of programs that teach up to the B2 level of European Framework of Languages. And do check if you have a Berlitz schools nearby (they usually have them all over the world) and they have courses that go up to C2. They also have individual, custom-made courses according to the student's need (so you might want to take a medical-related course to get some exposure). Once you get a good feel for the language and take the exam, you can think of moving to Germany and taking more intensive language courses to prepare for the Test DaF (and may be even some medical courses). It's DOABLE. Just don't give up if that's what you really want to do (this is where cliches often stand true: where there's a will, there's a way ;))

I just met another American girl on the international forum who moved to Sweden with her husband and learnt the language there and is studying there right now. She says there are days when she meets professors she can't understand (due to their thick accent) but it still seems that she's coping up well (and turns out that most Swedes in the class couldn't understand the guy anyways).

If you intend of getting back to the US, I would really recommend that you try to get into the US and if that fails, then the Caribbean. That's the best route (and will not limit your chances of getting into a good residency program in the future).

Good luck!

Shreypete,

I have already studied German for 3 years during undergrad. I have already passed the B1 level exam (Zertifikat Deutsch) at the Goethe Institut and passed with a high score (183/225 points on the written part and 15/15 points - a perfect score - on the oral part)

I listen to german radio on deutsche-welle.de and the site has a separate section for learning german and they have online courses from A1 all the way to C2. (http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3048224,00.html) I have the basic grammar down, but I need to work on vocabulary. I've been reading articles online and making an excel spreadsheet for my vocab.

I am now preparing for Goethe's B2 level German exam. I plan on taking it in April or May of this year. I have a friend in Germany who is also a doctor who is helping me with my application there. She said that there is shortage of residents (assistenzarzte) in Germany and the chances that I will find something in Germany are good, provided I meet the language requirements and education equivalency. I am working on getting all the paperwork done for that (translations, LORs etc).

I have already graduated from a Caribbean medical school. I had trouble with my USMLEs so I didn't get any interviews for residency. Plus I'm a Canadian citizen so I would need a visa to work in the U.S. So I was unsuccessful in getting anything in the U.S, even though I'm ECFMG certified and have excellent LORs from U.S preceptors.

Not giving up just yet! Hopefully something works out.

Last edited:
Oh I'm sorry, I assumed that you were planning to move to Germany to get into medical school. Oh, then it's an entirely different ball game. Yes, you're right. I've read an endless number of articles regarding the doctor vacancies in Germany (as a lot of them are either moving to Austria or the US).

Since you're already going to at the B2 level in a short time, you shouldn't have too many problems. You can perhaps go to Germany to do the rest of the levels (up to C2) and simultaneously take some medical German courses. I'm sure living there will make things a lot easier in terms of acquiring better speaking and comprehension skills (and great job on the score!)

The good thing about Germany is that there is no internship year as such. One just starts right away. But I'm sure once you can nail the language part, that should solve a lot of things. The 2nd step is getting your medical degree recognized which might be entirely different. Once you get those two things in and get a training interview, getting a work and a residence permit shouldn't be all that hard (but of course I'm not aware as to how easy or difficult this procedure is for non-EU grads so perhaps someone else from this forum can help you out with that.)

Good luck again!

Oh I'm sorry, I assumed that you were planning to move to Germany to get into medical school. Oh, then it's an entirely different ball game. Yes, you're right. I've read an endless number of articles regarding the doctor vacancies in Germany (as a lot of them are either moving to Austria or the US).

Since you're already going to at the B2 level in a short time, you shouldn't have too many problems. You can perhaps go to Germany to do the rest of the levels (up to C2) and simultaneously take some medical German courses. I'm sure living there will make things a lot easier in terms of acquiring better speaking and comprehension skills (and great job on the score!)

The good thing about Germany is that there is no internship year as such. One just starts right away. But I'm sure once you can nail the language part, that should solve a lot of things. The 2nd step is getting your medical degree recognized which might be entirely different. Once you get those two things in and get a training interview, getting a work and a residence permit shouldn't be all that hard (but of course I'm not aware as to how easy or difficult this procedure is for non-EU grads so perhaps someone else from this forum can help you out with that.)

Good luck again!

Thanks!

Right now my goal is to pass the B2 level exam, so that I can get things going. The medical boards in Germany requires proof of at least B2 level German in order to be eligible for the berufserlaubnis (work permit for doctors). The only bundesland that doesn't require a B2 is Sachsen. They require only B1, but you have to pass the B2 level exam within a year of getting your berufserlaubnis.

Once I pass the exam, and hopefully get a job offer in Germany I'm sure I'll pick up the language very quickly. So I'm not too worried about that.

The residence/work permit issue might get complicated since I'm a Canadian citizen. As far as I understand, the clinic/residency program has to prove that they couldn't find an EU citizen for the job before they offer the job to a foreigner. But as I said, there is a shortage of residents in Germany as a high percentage of students (15-20% I believe) who enter medical school don't finish or the do finish but decide not to pursue residency in Germany (they go to Scandinavia, or other EU countries) or do something else (like medical administration or clinical research or enter the Pharmaceutical industry etc) My german friend said that my chances are the greatest in the smaller towns. I'm very flexible as far as geography goes. It would be best if I can find something in western Germany though, preferably in Bavaria.

So step 1 is passing the B2 exam, get a job offer, get my medical education recognized and finally residency/work permit.

Last edited:
Well if Germany doesn't work out, you still have Austria....or perhaps the German speaking cantons of Switzerland or Belgium (although learning Swiss German is a pain).

But may I ask why you want to go to Germany so bad? I mean the working conditions aren't all that great (and the pay isn't either). I presume you must have an affinity to German culture? or perhaps German heritage?

Well if Germany doesn't work out, you still have Austria....or perhaps the German speaking cantons of Switzerland or Belgium (although learning Swiss German is a pain).

But may I ask why you want to go to Germany so bad? I mean the working conditions aren't all that great (and the pay isn't either). I presume you must have an affinity to German culture? or perhaps German heritage?

It's not that I'm stuck on going to Germany. The reason I'm looking for residency in Europe is because I've had trouble with the USMLEs. I've passed all steps, but not on first attempts and my scores are also below average. I had to drop out of the match the first time because I failed my CS and wouldn't be ECFMG certified by the rank list deadline. The second match cycle (2009-2010) I had everything completed (passed Step 1, Step 2 CK and CS. Also ECFMG certified by September) but didn't get any interviews, because of low scores/attempts. So I'm looking somewhere else to do a residency.

The reason I prefer Germany is because of the language. I have passed the the B1 level language test at Goethe Institute. Just 2-3 months of intensive language lessons and I'll reach B2. Also there is a good chance that I will find something there because of the current resident shortage. I'm also looking into Denmark and Sweden (the other IMG friendly European countries) but then there is the whole issue of language. I would have to start right from the very beginning (Level A1) and it would take at least 6-10 months of intensive lessons in Denmark/Sweden to get to B2 level. That would involve spending a considerable amount of money and time (like paying for rent/food other expenses). Denmark and Sweden are not exactly the cheapest places in the world to live, especially for someone like me who wouldn't be able to get a job there to support myself. I have some money saved up which will last me a few months n Germany, but that's about it. I have good friends in Munich (3 of them). One of whom has offered to house me while I prepare for the B2 exam and look for a job in Germany which helps me out a LOT. Always good to know a local when one is in a foreign country. Plus she's also a surgery resident there, so she knows what has to be done as far as all the paperwork for applications etc. I prepared my CV in german myself and I emailed it to her and she made some corrections to it...corrections which only a native German person would be able to make. Little things like that help a lot.

I really don't care about the pay. It's better than being unemployed!:rolleyes: I just want to finish what I started. Get into a residency and become a practicing physician. I don't care where.

So basically its the combination of language skills, good possibility of getting something in Germany and having friends there is the reason I'm so keen on working there.

Last edited:
Ah I see, well in that case, it makes a lot of sense.

It's not that I'm stuck on going to Germany. The reason I'm looking for residency in Europe is because I've had trouble with the USMLEs. I've passed all steps, but not on first attempts and my scores are also below average. I had to drop out of the match the first time because I failed my CS and wouldn't be ECFMG certified by the rank list deadline. The second match cycle (2009-2010) I had everything completed (passed Step 1, Step 2 CK and CS. Also ECFMG certified by September) but didn't get any interviews, because of low scores/attempts. So I'm looking somewhere else to do a residency.
Don't you find it slightly ironic how you flamed me for revealing the age discrimination issue (that even the European Union has been pressuring them to change) in Germany, and how it could possibly apply to me, but in your own case, you've basically been barred from practicing in the US due to your own poor performance?

Those German classmates of yours sure made a 180 didn't they? Just a few weeks back you posted that all 300 of them were protesting because they were being forced to work with foreign students and now they've gone from being racist, xenophobic Germans (YOUR sentiments, not mine) who want nothing to do with foreigners to being supportive and all warmed up to you? Those Germans sure are fickle, aren't they? Looks like *you're* the one bouncing between two extremes.
Actually, do you think, for even a second, that I will be taking all of my classes and seminars and labs with ALL 300? My group of students has been supportive. The others have not yet been able to say the same. I lucked out, I guess. So yeah, some in my group did a 180.

...and yes, Germans are fickle. You'll realize that when you actually come here and start handling your own administrative tasks, unless you plan on being dependent on others like you are to even get in here. Truth be told, if you're having people helping you and making corrections to get in here, then you're not ready. I also consulted a neurologist chair, whom I'm acquainted with, and asked about the language issue for foreign docs. They say they get them all the time, then they end up firing them, or they end up leaving on their own accord when they are unable to properly communicate with patients, or they write reports that are unintelligible, and a physician down the road has to deal with the history that is not understandable, and for legal and obvious reasons, can not be trusted. This ends up leading to inquiries and references to the physician's record and further review.

You can do it, but it's obvious you're going to have massive problems here because you think you did a b1 Goethe and it will be a breeze. Wait until you deal with local accents, words you've never heard before, functional phrases that you haven't gotten yet, and a host of other things you'll need in everyday life that is only taught in the C-level German. Just be prepared, since the sound of your boasting indicates you think things will be easy. You won't have your friend in your daily life to help you translate, nor make yourself understandable. Too many referrals to other physicians to translate will only lead to complaints, and non-renewal, or firing during your probation. You can rely on this "doctor shortage" as being your fallback and thinking they need you more than you need them, but as a foreign doc, who has only "allgemeine Sprachfaehigkeit" and not "medizinische", you will be in for quite a surprise, considering Germany doesn't always use the international scientific language and there are few direct translations. Even at that point, colleagues, even if they speak English, might not know what you're talking about if you're looking for a translation. I know, since I deal with that everyday and I'm still studying. In fact, my workload is generally 2x, since I have to learn the international language, and the German counterparts, which many students know already. The volume is quite impressive.

You will have way more problems than you think, as you don't know how much you don't know.

I really don't care about the pay. It's better than being unemployed!:rolleyes: I just want to finish what I started. Get into a residency and become a practicing physician. I don't care where.
You will have to, in order to pay back your massive debt that's accruing interest. In addition, don't think for a second they can't and won't find you. The debt collectors here specialize in working internationally, which also gives them reciprocal agreements. They also actively hunt out debts on people as well. You will find this out here, or even your employer will find it out. You can't be under the radar here, since you have to register yourself in Germany, and any time you move. If you don't, they do catch up with you and fine you, based on the amount of time.

You will find out this, and much more in the course of time.

Last edited:
Don't you find it slightly ironic how you flamed me for revealing the age discrimination issue (that even the European Union has been pressuring them to change) in Germany, and how it could possibly apply to me, but in your own case, you've basically been barred from practicing in the US due to your own poor performance?

Actually, do you think, for even a second, that I will be taking all of my classes and seminars and labs with ALL 300? My group of students has been supportive. The others have not yet been able to say the same. I lucked out, I guess. So yeah, some in my group did a 180.

...and yes, Germans are fickle. You'll realize that when you actually come here and start handling your own administrative tasks, unless you plan on being dependent on others like you are to even get in here. Truth be told, if you're having people helping you and making corrections to get in here, then you're not ready. I also consulted a neurologist chair, whom I'm acquainted with, and asked about the language issue for foreign docs. They say they get them all the time, then they end up firing them, or they end up leaving on their own accord when they are unable to properly communicate with patients, or they write reports that are unintelligible, and a physician down the road has to deal with the history that is not understandable, and for legal and obvious reasons, can not be trusted. This ends up leading to inquiries and references to the physician's record and further review.

You can do it, but it's obvious you're going to have massive problems here because you think you did a b1 Goethe and it will be a breeze. Wait until you deal with local accents, words you've never heard before, functional phrases that you haven't gotten yet, and a host of other things you'll need in everyday life that is only taught in the C-level German. Just be prepared, since the sound of your boasting indicates you think things will be easy. You won't have your friend in your daily life to help you translate, nor make yourself understandable. Too many referrals to other physicians to translate will only lead to complaints, and non-renewal, or firing during your probation. You can rely on this "doctor shortage" as being your fallback and thinking they need you more than you need them, but as a foreign doc, who has only "allgemeine Sprachfaehigkeit" and not "medizinische", you will be in for quite a surprise, considering Germany doesn't always use the international scientific language and there are few direct translations. Even at that point, colleagues, even if they speak English, might not know what you're talking about if you're looking for a translation. I know, since I deal with that everyday and I'm still studying. In fact, my workload is generally 2x, since I have to learn the international language, and the German counterparts, which many students know already. The volume is quite impressive.

You will have way more problems than you think, as you don't know how much you don't know.

You will have to, in order to pay back your massive debt that's accruing interest. In addition, don't think for a second they can't and won't find you. The debt collectors here specialize in working internationally, which also gives them reciprocal agreements. They also actively hunt out debts on people as well. You will find this out here, or even your employer will find it out. You can't be under the radar here, since you have to register yourself in Germany, and any time you move. If you don't, they do catch up with you and fine you, based on the amount of time.

You will find out this, and much more in the course of time.

When did I ever say that I was ready?? Whats so bad about having a native German speaker look over my CV before I send it out? As I said I'm not a B2 yet, but I will be after taking the required teaching units. I need a B2 to qualify for the Berufserlaubnis, not a C1. Do you think that everyone who passes the TOEFL exam to study at a university in an English speaking country is able to speak fluent English? I went to college in Canada and I was a volunteer English Teacher to foreign students (mostly from China). They had all passed the TOEFL exam with the required score needed by my college, yet were not able to understand colloquial English (I used to record episodes of 'Friends' and make them watch it). They couldn't understand a lot of what was said. Does that mean that they shouldn't have come to Canada to study? You learn as you go along. You said so yourself that you are still learning the nuances of the language, even after you have passed the C1 exam. Your workload is 2x and still haven't been kicked out of med school. So if you can do it, why can't anyone else? You are the one who seems to be boasting about your own abilities.

I never said that it's going to be a breeze. Not once did I say that it's going to be easy. There is a chance that I will fail. There is also a chance that I will make it. I'm not going to abandon pursuing residency in Germany just because there is a chance that I will fail. As Wayne Gretzky once said: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

You sure know a lot about the nuances of debt collection. Speaking from personal experience?

I'm going to sign off before this thread degenerates any further. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Now now people, there's no point in fighting endlessly about something so subjective (as language seems to be the main focus here).

superoxide, you're already a doctor and I respect that. I'm sure that if you were able to finish medicine, you can definitely do something a lot easier like pick up a language. So just stick to it and you'll be ok. You don't have to justify to others when you know that you're willing to give it your best and you know you have a shot at it.

slight365, there's no point in scaring someone to this extent. You've clearly made your point to superoxide in your earlier posts which I think is fair and a decent warning. I'm sure he's aware of his future problems and hurdles once he gets there.

So it's as easy as that. Medicine as such is still the same all around the world and I'm sure if you're willing to take some time ('cause it will take a lot of time) to learn all the medical terminology in German, you should be fine. It has been done (and I can say that because I've seen so many non-EU citizens working in German hospitals 2 years back in Hamburg...some of the people's accent just gave it off; others spoke it really well --especially one American doctor I met in Frankfurt. It was quite impressive actually.) To a German (or any other European for that matter of fact), a professional who might not speak German very well or doesn't pitch into group conversations/seminars might not be considered "on-par", but doesn't necessarily mean that the person is not smart. It might just be a language barrier for all you know.

Shrey,

You are not his babysitter, and he obviously doesn't need you to bail him out, as I had zero idea he even existed until he decided to start seeking out my posts and lobbing some personal attacks. So you're quite off base on this one, and look no further than his post history, and the fact that he hangs on my every word to figure that out. Now the same tactic is used on him, revealing the irony of his own experience, and now he can't handle it.

You sure know a lot about the nuances of debt collection. Speaking from personal experience?
No. I didn't ring up debts in the US, I worked off my education, and mercifully had scholarships. I attempted, as much as I could, to keep my education costs within what I could afford during that period, something I stick to today.

I also didn't need to go to the Caribbean.

So if you can do it, why can't anyone else?
I'm not speaking about anyone other than YOU. You claimed it would be a breeze, but the fact of the matter is you failed your US exams, then finally passed them, but only to a point where you are now barred from practicing in the US (which, ironically, you live this reality, but then try to make fun of me, who might suffer the very different and illegal age discrimination). I will still have a chance at practicing in the US.

As far as correlating the TOEFL and English language with German, again, that's another example of how naive you are to this. They are two different languages on different scales of difficulty, with very different margins of understandability. Again, you will find out when you're unable to write reports, or colleagues are calling you to find out what the hell you wrote on a report, especially when you're dealing with a heavy accent and/or dialect altogether with the patient.

Anyhow, we will see, you might make it, might not, but you will not have as easy a time as you think.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to remind everyone to please keep posts productive and constructive. These forums are meant to provide a place where we can learn from each other's experiences, not bash decisions made by others. We all arrive at the same place from all sorts of differing circumstances and this forum is meant to encourage each other, not criticize.

Hey all ,
Denmark is going to tighten the rules for foreign doctors authorization http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Andre_sprog/English/2010/03/09/151640.htm
If any one has more details about this subject plz share them with us

So, anything changed with the rules after this post?!

I have been reading your posts guys and they were really interesting, however, the german language subject and it's diffecalities drove us away from the main subject, which is Denmark!!!

So, can someone please bring us back to the main subject (even thou my post comes really late, two years late). According to you guys denmark language is not directly a requirement, but it's important. And one (non-EU students) has to qualify his/her degree in Denmark, then they get into 1 year of training in two hospital each of 6 months broke down as 3 months for each department. Then one get into a three days test of medical examination which will decied according to the seats and the scores which speciality he can enroll in and in which city. You guys also mentioned that the salary is better than germany but still the living costs and the taxies are expensive so it's more or less the same as germany.

Am i right about what i have mentioned just now ? Please correct me if there was something wrong!

Besides, what are the salaries in Denmark ? Comparing with Germany if anyone knows it (especially the ones who works in either Denmark or Germany) ??

And moreover, are there still high competition in both Denmark and Germany ?!?!?!

I'm finishing med school in Portugal (EU country) and I'd like to know which steps I need to take to get into a residency program in Denmark, Sweden or Norway.

Please help me.

Hello,
I am a final year EU Medical student and a EU resident. I spent quite some time going through some of the numerous articles posted on this amazing forum and i would like to thank the Administrator and the ones contributing immensely to help lost souls like us who are at the verge of finishing Medical school and figuring out the harder part " finding a Job as a resident Doctor".
I did try to find out some stuffs regarding "How to apply for a Residency in Medicine in Sweden" and have somewhat a cleared concept in this field. So if anyone,even though most of the questions seem to be answered,have some doubts,i would love to answer them. But for the moment, here goes my question;
1. Do we have enough Job opportunities as Resident Doctors in Sweden ?
2. I along with my wife,who is also a final year Medical student and a EU citizen,want to do our Residency in Internal Medicine and Gynecology respectively. How hard is it to get a Residency job in these fields.
Any information regarding this matter would be highly appreciated.

:xf::xf::xf:...Best regards

im also interested in Nordic.

help me plz

I need a help regarding residency in sweden

Hi all ,
I'm an international Non Eu doctor i have finished medical school and i will finish my internship year in a couple of months . I would like to know how to get a residency in Denmark or Sweden . Do i need to take any exams??? is a certain level of language proficiency is required ??? etc......
Any information will be much appreciated :)
Thanks in advance for your help

If you would like to work in Denmark as a doctor, as a non-EU citizen the authorization procedure is pretty complicated. You have to wait minimum 18 months from the time of application. If you can get an EU citizenship + homologization of your diploma (at least in one of the EU countries), it's already much simpler. There are recruitnent companies specialized to that, one especially to Denmark. It's called Medicolink, and once you got the offer, they teach you Danish for free. They mostly recruit specialists, but very rarely they have resident positions too (unfortunately not for doctors from outside the EU).

Hello! :) I will be graduating from medical school soon from Poland and I am also an EU citizen. I am very interested in going to Sweden with my boyfriend (who is Swedish). I have been studying Swedish with whatever resources I could get my hands on, of course I am not fluent but I do know how to hold a basic conversation. I want to do my residency in Sweden and I was just wondering how difficult it would be and what process I need to go through?

Thanks!