Residency in Diag Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raju

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an FMG who did his MD in INT. MED. from India in 1991. I am interested in getting a residency in Diag. Radiology with H1 visa. I have got scores of 98 & 94. I plan to give step 3 in June when I will be in USA for some time. What are my chances of getting Diag. Radiology? Is an MD in Int. Med. & a gap of 10 yrs. a big disadvantage? Anything else I can do to increase my chances of success?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have a very hard time getting a spot in Radiology. The competitiveness of Rad. has been increasing every year the last few years. This year's match was brutal. There were very few positions that went unmatched. The statistics are not out yet, but I would expect that the US senior unmatched rate this year will be even higher than last years of 14.1%. I know of at least 2 people in my class that had to "scramble" for positions. As, a FMG your chances will be even less. You do have very good USMLE scores. So I am not saying it is impossible. Call all the programs you are interested in and find out if they will even consider an FMG and if so can you do a rotation. Letting them get to know you is your best chance. Here is a list of the schools that did not fill this year in the match. Though I am sure they had plenty of people after.

ILLINOIS
MICHAEL REESE HOSP-IL

MISSOURI
BARNES-JEWISH HOSP-MO

NEW YORK STATE
SUNY HLTH SC-SYRACUSE-NY

PENNSYLVANIA
HOSP OF THE UNIV OF PA

MERCY CATHOLIC MED-PA

PUERTO RICO
UNIV OF PUERTO RICO

Good luck to you.

PS. consider Pathology, very similar in working conditions and hours. Much easier to match in.

------------------
Rob
http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml