Residency in Israel for AMGs w/ completed USMLEs but no U.S. residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phospho

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly, there is pretty much nothing of value here on SDN in regards to this topic. I just spent the last hour utilizing the search function and I just wasted my time with threads talking about the weather in Israel, talking about politics, living, the language, etc... can we perhaps talk about medicine?

For someone who is an AMG who has NOT completed ANY residency in the U.S. who would like to go to Israel to practice, what are the steps to do so?

Let's say you've taken all your USMLE exams, and let's also assume you are a dual citizen, i.e. U.S./Israeli. How do you go about "entering the match" in Israel?

Please do not tell me that you have to pass the written exam in Hebrew like all the other old threads here because a simple google search will take you to the Israeli medical board which clearly states that if you've completed medical school in the U.S. and you've completed all your USMLE exams, you are exempt from that exam and you can go ahead and enter residency.

This is where my question is. What is "entering residency"? How do you "sign up"? Is there a "season" like here? Is it competitive (given the fact that you already have an M.D.)? I'm assuming that fluency in Hebrew is a requirement.

Any (useful) information would be very much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Rachel

Members don't see this ad.

If one has not completed an intern year and obtained a license in the US, one would first enter the internship match. Unlike the US residency matches, there are no interviews and only the applicant submits a rank order list. During or after the internship one would apply separately to each residency program. Residencies at hospitals outside the center of the country tend to be less competitive.

I cannot post links for some reason but the Ministry of Health and Nefesh B'Nefesh have information online that can be found by a web search. The website Matching in Practice has an interesting page in which the internship match is explained by the people who designed it.

Last edited: