Residency in OB/GYN for a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reedsc49

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I'm really new at this so I'm sorry if there have already been posts on this. I'm in the process of applying to medical schools, I'm applying to both MD and DO. The more I have researched DO the more I have become interested and I think it would be a really good fit for me, but I have some concerns. I really want to become and OB/GYN and I want to make sure that is a possibility after school. So...

1) Are there OB/GYN residencies in DO? I want to ultimately practice in Washington State. Where can I find out if this is a possibility?

2) For OB/GYN do I have to take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX? Is it a MD residency?

3) When it comes down to it, what are the benefits of a DO background compared to an MD? If given the choice between the two, should I decide based on what school I prefer?

Thanks for all your help. It really means a lot. :)

-Sara

Members don't see this ad.

1. Check opportunities.osteopathic.org for OB/GYN D.O. residencies.

2. If you apply to an M.D. residency program (most of the time) you will have to take the USMLE. For D.O. residencies, you take the COMLEX.

3. There are practically no differences in the way that D.O.s practice when compared to M.D.s. D.O. education is identical to M.D. education except that D.O.s receive extra training (in addition to their other classes) in Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy (OMT). From the D.O.s and M.D.s I've shadowed they seem to work interchangeably, so there is no particular benefit to having a D.O. background. If you're applying to both schools, and are okay with either degree, then I would pick the school that fit me the best, work hard and enjoy the route to becoming a doctor!

I recommend that you do some reading of the pre-osteo forum.

Short answer: Since DOs are fully licensed physicians like MDs and do residencies like MDs, they can be OB/GYNs or any other specialty like MDs. They are completely equivalent degrees and training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely, I have a cousin who works at Lucille Packard (the awesome Stanford Children's Hospital) as an RN in the L&D floor. She works with several DO's who are OB/GYN's.

Definitely a possibility

Ob/Gyn is considered a primary care field. And DO schools advertise themselves as being more primary care oriented. Whether they actually are or not I wouldn't know since I'm still a pre-med but I'm sure u can find some students on here who will tell u which schools are more geared towards primary care.

I know pikeville and msu are both strongly primary care oriented.

Also, there are 29 DO Ob/Gyn residencies in the US. If you feel tht strongly about it, applying to a school that is affiliated with one of these residency programs will strengthen your chances of getting into one of them.

Fair warning though...it is very rare that a premed actually sticks to what they thought thy wanted to do..after rotating in each field you will realize u might hate Ob/Gyn..