Residency in Rural Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

PB

Hello,
I was just wondering if there is a residency program in rural medicine or a similar area. If so, do you know how many years it is and where these programs are?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, it's a combo of undergrad and GME with rural health focus:
http://www.rockford.uic.edu/rmed.htm

It is also a program I am considering, as a resident of a rural Illinois county.

Best

The University of Washington, Seattle has a rural family practice residency, you can even extend it one year if you want obstetrics as a part of your practice. Montana Rural Family Practice Residency (they have a website)is also a great one (they are affiliated with UofW). The University of Florida sponsors Tallahassee Memorial Hospital's Rural Family Practice track. Just to name a few!!! If you really are interested in rural practice you need to contact the National Rural Health Association (they also have a website) and the National Association of Rural Health Clinics. Both of these resources can put you in contact with numerous sites and provide you with invaluable information. Almost every state has affiliations with these organizations (so it would be helpful to narrow down a geographical area of interest)or you may just want to contact your local AHEC office.
I did my master's thesis on chronicity in rural health and if I can provide you any any info feel free to e-mail me.

[This message has been edited by Sherry (edited 06-08-2000).]

Several years ago I read "Heirs of General Practice", by John McPhee. In it he describes the evolution of family practice in Maine and refers to the Maine-Dartmouth Family Practice Residency, which functions principally in and close by the Kennebec Valley Medical Center, in Augusta, ME.

The book is very brief, but enjoyable.