residency in TX and LA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I'm about 97% sure that I can claim residency in TX (my parents, who still support me) and in LA (driver's license, taxes, bills, etc.). Am I allowed to claim TX residency in TMDSAS and LA in AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

do your parents claim you as a dependent on your taxes or do you claim yourself? In order to establish LA residency you cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone's taxes outside of the state.

So I'm about 97% sure that I can claim residency in TX (my parents, who still support me) and in LA (driver's license, taxes, bills, etc.). Am I allowed to claim TX residency in TMDSAS and LA in AMCAS?

Unless you are 100% gunning for a CA med school, you're going to want to claim Texas residency.

Is it possible to do what you're doing? Sure. But you really don't want to know what happens when you get caught. AMCAS and TMDSAS do talk to each other (how else do you think they know when people have more than one acceptance after May 15th?)

Members don't see this ad :)

When you filed income taxes in LA, how did you do it? As a resident, or as a non-resident? On your return, did you note that you can be claimed as your parents' dependent? I don't know if it would come down to this, but you need to get all your ducks in a row in these cases, but if you filed as an LA resident and claimed an exemption for yourself, you are probably an LA resident...

Where are you registered to vote? The DL in LA ties you to LA.

Are you still in college, or just finishing? Or did you graduate and then not return to TX? If the latter, and you stayed in LA, had a job, etc, you are probably a LA resident.

I have no idea about splitting your residency in the 2 systems. Doesn't sound kosher, but maybe somebody else knows if there is any connection between the 2 systems...

When you filed income taxes in LA, how did you do it? As a resident, or as a non-resident? On your return, did you note that you can be claimed as your parents' dependent? I don't know if it would come down to this, but you need to get all your ducks in a row in these cases, but if you filed as an LA resident and claimed an exemption for yourself, you are probably an LA resident...

Where are you registered to vote? The DL in LA ties you to LA.

Are you still in college, or just finishing? Or did you graduate and then not return to TX? If the latter, and you stayed in LA, had a job, etc, you are probably a LA resident.

I have no idea about splitting your residency in the 2 systems. Doesn't sound kosher, but maybe somebody else knows if there is any connection between the 2 systems...

A classmate of mine did this. To my knowledge, she never got called out on it. She was super-sketch though...

Last edited:
Unless you are 100% gunning for a CA med school, you're going to want to claim Texas residency.

Uh, I think the OP is referring to Louisiana, not Los Angeles. :rolleyes: