residency in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

great north

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any information or experience applying for graduate medical study/ residency in the UK; namely, what is involved with regards to procedure, requirements and applications for a graduate of a non-UK medical student and non-UK citizen, any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would rather do an ophathmology residency in Georgia (the country) and practice in Nigeria giving people sight than have to deal with ignorance.

Members don't see this ad.

interesting quote, is it yours????

To undergo UK post-graduate training which is equivalent to US-residency training you have to pass the PLAB (professional and linguistic assesment Board) test conducted by General Medical Council for all Overseas medical graduates. This gives you the limited professional registration to work and get the training in the UK.

After passing this PLAB test you have to apply for the Senior House Officer jobs in different UK hospitals. Try to search for the GMC (General Medical Concil) in the web to get more information.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you newyorker (sir or madam) for you reply. Yes naija_pinyo it is my own quote and I hope that it doesn't offend.

This is your one stop for all the info you need: http://www.gmc-uk.org/

P.S. Residency in Georgia and practicing opth in Nigeria can be an absolutely incredible experience. :cool:

no it doesn't offend me, just wondering why you picked georgia and nigeria:).

to add to what newyorker said, after taking and passing the PLAB i don't think you'll be able to apply directly for an SHO position unless you have already completed one year as a PG or PGY 1 in the US or the equivalent in some other country, cos in the UK students have to rotate through medicne and surgery for one year (this is the PRHO year) before becoming SHO's. so if and when you do pass the PLAB, you'll be entering as a PRHO (pre-registration house officer??) unless of course you have already completed your PGY-1.

all the best mate. i'm also thinking about taking the PLAB but i haven't decided yet, who knows i just may end up taking the MLE's.

Reactions: 1 user
no it doesn't offend me, just wondering why you picked georgia and nigeria:).

to add to what newyorker said, after taking and passing the PLAB i don't think you'll be able to apply directly for an SHO position unless you have already completed one year as a PG or PGY 1 in the US or the equivalent in some other country, cos in the UK students have to rotate through medicne and surgery for one year (this is the PRHO year) before becoming SHO's. so if and when you do pass the PLAB, you'll be entering as a PRHO (pre-registration house officer??) unless of course you have already completed your PGY-1.

all the best mate. i'm also thinking about taking the PLAB but i haven't decided yet, who knows i just may end up taking the MLE's.

Hi ! so.. did you take that PLAB test in the end? Pleeeeease tell me you did and passed and that you are already a doctor working in th UK! I need some guidance here!!

I graduated from a non EU medschool and not a citizen of the UK. I plan to take the IELTS soon and then the PLAB test! I am just not so sure about what to do after that. (Keep in mind that I am also a fresh medical graduate with no internship training/pgy1 as some of you call it) . Yes I have checked out the GMC website, I understand that I can register for provisional reg for license and then do the FY1 and 2. <--- so this is where my training starts, correct?
I just need reassurance that I am heading down the right route.

Thanks in advance for any reply at all! cheers

Hi ! so.. did you take that PLAB test in the end? Pleeeeease tell me you did and passed and that you are already a doctor working in th UK! I need some guidance here!!

I graduated from a non EU medschool and not a citizen of the UK. I plan to take the IELTS soon and then the PLAB test! I am just not so sure about what to do after that. (Keep in mind that I am also a fresh medical graduate with no internship training/pgy1 as some of you call it) . Yes I have checked out the GMC website, I understand that I can register for provisional reg for license and then do the FY1 and 2. <--- so this is where my training starts, correct?
I just need reassurance that I am heading down the right route.

Thanks in advance for any reply at all! cheers

Hello!! I will be graduating from a non EU med school this year and I'm not a citizen of the UK either. From what you've written, I think I'm in the same situation as you were in. I am also hoping to take the FY1 route. Could you kindly let me know how it's going for you?

Thank you!